My 4x4 Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4x4 Sucks!

I have a 97 F150 Lariat 4x4, and it sucks like no other 4x4 in the mud or snow. For instance, I was out at my land just the other weekend. The ground was pretty squishy, but nothing bad. So my truck settled a little bit, I had 4x4 engaged when I parked it. When I went to leave, the thing just buried itself right away because I gave it a little gas, and only one wheel spins in the back, and only 1 wheel spins in the front, well I'm lucky if atleast 1 spins in the front, sometimes none of them spin in the front. So the thing just sinks right in, and I have to rock it back and forth to get it out. Then today, I'm up at school, and my truck sat in a parking spot for a couple weeks, and we got a bunch of snow, so it was kind of plowed in there. It took be forever to rock that b*tch back and forth to get it out. Its a pain in the a*s. I thought if you have 4x4, you should be able to get through some thick sh*t, at this point, I think a FWD car could make it through the same amount my truck can. Same thing with going mudding, the only way I make it through mudholes is if I have enough speed, as soon as I start slowing down, there isn't enough pulling to get me through it.

So I guess the question is, why is it doing this? is it supposed too? Is it because I don't have limited slip in the back end or what? but when 4x4 is engaged, shouldn't both front tires spin?

I guess I can't really do anything about this now, I'm getting rid of the truck in about 7 months, and I'm getting around an 05 F150 FX4 screw. but what are some of the things to look for on the new trucks? are they all equiped with limited slip? Otherwise I'm gonna stick a full locker in the back end or something. This stuff is getting annoying..

also, I have 33" AT on this truck, and I'm gonna put 35x12.5 BFG mudders on my new one. I know these should help alot more in the mud, but how about the snow? will a notice a big difference over AT's?

sorry about all the questions, but this has been bothering me for a while now. Thanks in advance for anybody who answers

Old 02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have an open differential at both ends the best you can expect is one wheel turning at each end. An all terrain tire is useless in mud. But very effective in snow and rain. If you have a limited slip differential in the rear you will have both wheels turning in most situations. That will still leave the front with one wheel not turning. If none of the front wheels are turning you have a mechanical issue that needs to be addressed. Either check the tag on the diff or look for the axle code on the VIN sticker on the drive side door pillar. It is most likely a 19 or an H9.

JMC

Old 02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
like I said, I can't really do much about what I have, becuase I'm getting a new one pretty soon. I just want to make sure my new one has limited slip in the backend, and I'm assuming no 4 wheel drives come with limited slip in the front right? Do all FX4's have limited slip in the back? how about the regular 4x4's?

how do mud terrains perform in the snow and rain?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When you get your new truck make sure it has limited slip. Check the axle code on the VIN sticker. None of the Fords come with LSD in front. MUD TERRAINS suck in the rain. Look at the tread pattern. You are sitting on the lugs. They are made for clawing through soup. I have mud terrains simply because I cannot afford two sets of tires and I play in the mud sometimes. Don't get me wrong the MTs are fair on road but they do not equal the excellent manners of an AT on the street.

JMC

Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Becareful when buying a new 4x4 or any 4x4 for that matter. Every four wheel drive vehicle that I have ever owned was lsd. Just bought a new 07screw pretty pimped out...I'm normally an xlt person but after my son wrecked his jeep I wound up handing down my 01 screw to him and getting the 07. The problem was it was after the end of the year sales were over and there was very little inventory. And lsd was high on the list of my requirements, but somehow in an epic battle to get the dealer to give up all dealer fees and cut into his hold back, I lost track thinking for sure that all 4x4's must have lsd. It just doesn't make sense to me that a four wheel drive vehicle wouldn't have it. Well I found out the hard way that all trucks are not created equal. So I wound up swapping out the open diff for a lsd Detroit.

I actually don't feel that bad since I now have a better rear end and it cost me less than an additional 5 hun. That's taking the 300.00 for the lsd factory option off the total 800.00 that the parts and labor were.

TT

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
LSD is standard on an FX4, option on the XLT and it sounds like it may be an option in the lariat.

You can add an air locker to the front and rear for that matter. This will get you the best 4x4 traction that you can have and good manners on the street.

A limited slip rear will probably get you most of what you need unless you want to play in the mud or do some serious trail riding.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah, alright well when I start looking for a new one, I'm not going to get anything except a FX4, because every FX4 has LSD right?

anything with LSD in the rear and it has 4x4 is all I need, I won't be pushing the truck anymore than that.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by hllon4whls

You can add an air locker to the front and rear for that matter. This will get you the best 4x4 traction that you can have and good manners on the street.
Any ideas on a good air locker and price ranges? For an 03 FX-4?
Could this be a do it yourself adventure haha or is it more of a difficult task?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2007, 08:49 AM
go to 4 wheel parts, they have a good one, its about 800 bucks tho. If your pretty handy, you should be able to do it yourself. I put a new posi unit and gears into my camaro...wasn't that hard, but you need to get a shop to align the gears. But if you save the stock shims, and just switch in the airlocker you should be good.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by KLUMB15
go to 4 wheel parts, they have a good one, its about 800 bucks tho. If your pretty handy, you should be able to do it yourself. I put a new posi unit and gears into my camaro...wasn't that hard, but you need to get a shop to align the gears. But if you save the stock shims, and just switch in the airlocker you should be good.

Thanks! How much on avg. does a shop charge to put in rear lockers and new set of gears? Just for the install that is?

Also what do you think about 4.10 gears riding on 33 through 35's?
-I'm not sure how the daily driving performance with hinder..

It would have to work better than my stock 3.55 LSD, at least with the bigger tires. Cant wait for lockers! The H9 LSD suuuuucks haha..

Last edited by Case45; 02-17-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 AM
different shops vary alot for gear installation cost. I had mine aligned for like 50 bucks, but I put them in myself. So I couldn't even tell you what it would cost, just go look around shop to shop to get quotes...But 4.10's sound good for 33's, with 35's you could run something a little steeper, but 4.10's will work well with 35's as well..

Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 AM
different shops vary alot for gear installation cost. I had mine aligned for like 50 bucks, but I put them in myself. So I couldn't even tell you what it would cost, just go look around shop to shop to get quotes...But 4.10's sound good for 33's, with 35's you could run something a little steeper, but 4.10's will work well with 35's as well..
Thanks Klumb! what gears would you advise with 35x12.50-17? You'd go a little lower than 4.10? Cant wait to put lockers on. Like I said before, Im not very impressed with the H9 3.55 LSD, I guess its better than not having it, but still not the best...

thanks for the help brotha!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 PM
yeah, alright well when I start looking for a new one, I'm not going to get anything except a FX4, because every FX4 has LSD right?

anything with LSD in the rear and it has 4x4 is all I need, I won't be pushing the truck anymore than that.
Yes you are correct, FX4 is the only model that comes with LSD from the factory

Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I honestly can't tell a difference in my 3.55 Lsd over an open it still seems like I get stuck just as easy as my friends dodge and chevy's with open diffs

Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM
i just went up a back country road that was about 1 to 1 and a half foot deep of mud my 4wd rocks its totally awesome i replaced the shift fork cause the ears were sheared off about 2 weeks ago now the 4wd works flawlessly a chevy going the other way got stuck. i was going to back and help him but he backed up and floored it foward looked like he got through it oh well he had buddies with him

Quick Reply: My 4x4 Sucks!