04 Screw Whining, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
LRG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Screw Whining, ideas?

Hey everyone, 1st post after spending a couple weeks lurking. Great forum! I just got a 04 Screw Lariat 4X4 and love it! It's light years beyond the 00 XLT I had before. My question is about a whine I'm hearing while driving it. I'm having a hard time telling where it's coming from. The whine is related to the speed of the truck, not the motor so I know it's drivetrain. It's a lot louder under acceleration, the harder I accelerate the louder the whine, while coasting I barely hear it. It's the same whether I'm in 2H or 4H. Any ideas what it might be or ways to find out what's causing it? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:53 PM
XTR
Does it do it when it's colder out ?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
LRG
Well I've only had the truck for a month or so, it hasn't gotten much below freezing but it happens at all the temp I've seen with it so far, from 25 to 45 in the morning, doesn't seem to make a difference. The whining definately happens when I first start it up, but it also continues even when the truck is warmed up. I have been noticing a slight shudder that happens usually twice when I leave after a cold start. This makes me a little suspicious of the limited slip, I've heard other people have had problems with the limited slip.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
try this it works for me when I am trying to find any rattle or whine in places and time where you cant get close to where you suspect it might be coming from.

get one of these Little digital voice recorders or even a cassette recorder will work. put it in a plastic bag so the mic doesn't pick up wind noise. and tape it to the differential or where you suspect the problem and go for a ride. listen to the play back and try a new location if needed.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I just noticed the same thing on my truck, exact same thing as yours - 04 Screw Lariat 4X4. It had about 28k miles on it when I bought it, and I just noticed it at about 35k miles. Did you ever track down where it was coming from? I notice it MUCH more when I have the rear glass open, so it's almost got to be coming from something near the rear end?

Checked for play in the driveshaft tonight, and it's as tight as it could be.

???

Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Forgot to mention. It happens at any speed, on/off the gas, 2/4 wheel drive, neutral/drive. So, pretty much all the time.

Quick Reply: 04 Screw Whining, ideas?