4X4 Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 Clunk

Here is my problem. I went off roading a little while ago and everything was fine. 4wd engaged like it should, I played around and everything worked. As soon as I hit pavement again I shifted out of 4WD using the switch. For a few seconds the 4WD wouldn't disengage, then finally it made a huge clunking sound and shifted out. I decided to leave it alone until I got back, as I didn't want to end up stuck. On the way home the truck drove normally. So I made it back and began to experiment. I've noticed a few things happening

1. Truck doesn't want to go into 4wd easily. 4X4 light doesn't illuminate until it's in 4wd.
2. Once it's in 4WD it will make the loud clunk. Generally when turning a corner and I believe when it shifts 1st to 2nd.
3. Shifts are much harder and take longer.
4. Drive train makes a high pitch whine when driving. Whine increases with speed.
5. Transfer Case doesn't want to come out of 4wd when 2wd is selected. 4x4 Light stays on even when the switch is on 2wd. Occasionally the transmission will be in neutral no matter where the shifter is. Generally shutting off the engine then restarting will get the transfer case back into 2wd.

I think thats all I know for now. My gameplan for fixing this tomorrow is going to be to unhook the transfer case motor and make sure it is working. If it is, then I'm not sure where to go from there. Could my transfer case have gone bad?
There is a significant collection of mud on the undercarriage; Could this be binding the transfer case somehow?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I've seen a few of those, but not one that detailed. What I'm really wondering is what I will find down there. I understand that those motors go bad a lot of the time, but would that explain the high pitched whine? I forgot to mention that this whine keeps me from going over 25mph for fear of breaking something.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Update:
I just replaced the Transfer case motor and it finally goes into 4H, 4L, and back to 2H again. I have one problem though, there was one black wire connected to the same plug as the motor that goes to the top of the transfer case. My new motor doesn't have one of these.
I'm guessing that this goes to the electromagnetic clutch, because my shift on the fly doesn't work as it should. Is my hypothesis correct? How should I go about hooking this up?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have the diagram for a '97, but this is how the older trucks were built:

. .

Quick Reply: 4X4 Clunk