Pinion bearing change

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinion bearing change

I have a 95 with an 8.8. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of job it is going to be to replace these bearings? I have been puting it off for too long and now the seal has let loose and dumping oil all over the place.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a manual for step by step. Make sure you replace the thrust washer too and crank down on the pinion nut.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It takes a press to remove/install those bearings, and if the gear pattern isn't right (it probably won't be), the gears will have to be set up using a dial indicator. It's not a job for a shadetree mechanic. Click my signature link & look thru the 8.8" Axle album, and read this page.

If you ONLY replace the outer (front) pinion bearing, crush sleeve, & seal, you can do that. But you'll still need an inch-pound torque wrench to set the preload.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Steve. It takes a little know-how and some special tools and equipment, especially with the pinion bearing preload, to set up properly. Don't get it set right, and at best you'll get a little bearing/gear noise. At worst, the bearings will self destruct, weld themselves to the pinion gear and put you in a world of hurt.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in all honesty man it's hell. even WITH a press, the bearings are VERY difficult because of the size. yesterday i screwed around with it for about 3 hours and finally ended up "making" a tool to get it off.

make sure you have a COMPLETE puller set.

Quick Reply: Pinion bearing change