99 Expy AWD Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Expy AWD Problem

Being an 99 there is no 2WD position. Problem is that the AWD is like 4WD. Front end is binding and pushing in slow speed turns and parking. Originally started as a flashing 4x4 light on the dash and what seemed to be no computer controlled AWD. Took it to the Ford dealer and they replaced the drive shaft sensors which got the flashing 4x4 light out but began the problem of the AWD setting be like 4x4 Hi.
Took it back and again Ford replaced the same sensors explaining that the computer was not detecting the differences in driveshaft speeds. The truck is still the same. Front end binds as if in 4x4 Hi mode.
I've also tried changing the fluid in both differentials and the transfer case. No difference. I am about at the end of the line with the Ford dealer. I've been reading about the brown wire mod on the Explorers but can't find any detailed information for the Expy. It seems as if you are able to interupt power to the clutch coil at the transfer case you would have 2 wheel drive. Is this correct? And the best place to interupt this power?

Quick Reply: 99 Expy AWD Problem