01 with rear end whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 with rear end whine

I've been reading all the threads I can find on rear end noise and whine. My 01 has 105k miles, 2wd, not sure which rear end it has (how do I tell ?). I've had the truck since 75k, the noise is getting louder the longer I own it, 45-75mph it whines or more like hums. I recently noticed a small vibration (which is new) at 75 when I let off the gas...

By reading the threads, I understand I need to have it looked at by a good shop for correct diagnosis, ring, pinion, bearings, pre-load etc... In the meantime, is there a point at which the reaer end will fail? Meaning, lock up at 75mph on the freeway, come apart inside and trash the whole thing or explode towing my camper etc... ???

Another thought, I have a good salvage yard near me, they have lots of late model F150 parts... with an 2WD 01, what years of other year F150's would be interchangeable and then I could just swap the whole rear end, and sell mine for a near even swap of $$$$$$$. Maybe that would be cheaper than a repair and I can do an axle swap, I don't think I can do the ring, pinion, gear work etc... (keeping in mind the one from the salave yard may also have the whine... or could develop it).

Thanks guys...

Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2000 started with that crap too. It was a good excuse to buy a new truck.
I was quoted $1150 for a used rear end installed, but like you said, it's pot luck as whether or not it would last. You could fit one up to an '03, but get the same gearing and axle set up as you have now to reduce drivability/installation problems.

Quick Reply: 01 with rear end whine