Really Need You Help With Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
csonka
Exclamation Really Need You Help With Rear Differential

I am really in a pinch here and not sure what to do.

My truck vibrates very bad, makes clunk and knocking noises.

I checked all ball joints, u joints, u joints on both drive shafts, everything looks good.

Mechanic says the Main Bearing Pin in the rear differential is worn and causing this behavior.

They suggest replacing the entire rear end and priced parts to be 700 for all used parts and around 450 for labor.

Anyone know if there is a better solution for this?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by csonka; 03-09-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol yeah i bet he does recommend that so he can make a lot of money off you. Does it do it when driving straight, accelerating, braking, or turning? Does it get louder or quieter with speed?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
csonka
It does it when driving straight, accelerating, really shutters when braking, and when turning too. I say I gets a bit louder and vibrations more intense when around 40 and 70 MPH.

It is getting worse it seems everytime I drive it now.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have a Dodge and one day the screw that holds the crosspin in just sheared in half. It made a hell of a racket because the crosspin kept slamming around into everything. $19 and 45 minutes later, problem solved. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is a possibility. If there is nothing else worn, there is no reason to replace the whole rearend.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
csonka
Well I learned my lesson. Just have to wait and let someone that I trust give me their opinion.

That mechanic at Walk's Service center just saw an opportunity to make some money. It wasn't the main bearing pin. I suggested several times to replace the u joint. He said that wasn't it.

So the dealership was able to squeeze me in and yep, was the u joint. My friend that works there just laughed and enjoyed reading the diagnosis report that the other idiots made.

Came home, replaced both to be safe. Rides smooth as glass.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear!

Quick Reply: Really Need You Help With Rear Differential