Clunk on right hand turn found!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Clunk on right hand turn found!

I have had my 97 f150 in the shop many times to find a clunk from under the box that happens every time I would pull in and out of my drive way (right turn) and no one could ever find it! Well I just found out what it was!!! and there is many of you out there that have the same problem. Try this... On a flat surface( must be level) grab the top of the rear wheel and push and pull hard enough to get the truck rocking and you may hear and feel the clunk. Mine feels like the wheels are going to fall off, It's that bad. I showed this to the dealer and he said it was normal! I didn't believe him but didn't want to argue with hime till I got some feedback from some people on this list? Is this clunking noise from the rear normal on the 97 f150? This is not a little clunk when I shake it, It is very loud and the wheel moves alot. I shook the 98-99 trucks and they were solid. If some on can try this on there 97 and let me know if theirs is the same, It would be a big help.
Thanks...

Old 05-26-2000, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I can't believe that freeplay in the rear (either wheel bearings or axle) large enough to have a noticeable clunk is normal. I would try showing this to a different dealer, or another shop if not under warranty. Never hurts to get multiple opinions.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport, Silver 4-door Supercab StyleSide
Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires, 3.55 R, 4.6l V8, Auto (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player, 60/40 Split bench dark graphite

Mods So Far
K&N Filter, Gatorback Spray-In Bedliner, Llumar ProShield Window Tint
WMS Velocity Tube

Future Plans
Superchip, Upgraded Speakers/Stereo
FlowMaster Exhaust, Nerf Bars

Quick Reply: Clunk on right hand turn found!