NAVI powered f-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI powered f-150

My grandfather spun a bearing in his 2001 navi got the motor out today. I am going to put my 2v 5.4l out of my 2001 supercrew in his navi and rebuild his 4v and 4r100 tranny for me. Anybody out there done this swap yet? I am trying to get up enough funds for cams and valvetrain upgrade, along with manley rods and all the normal b.s.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know of anyone on here, but i know on the *other* board I frequent, PhoenixClaw from Ohio did the swap into his '98... it wasn't fun and took MONTHS to get all the electrical gremlins worked out.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would recommend that you swap only the engines and the air inlet tubing and filter. Leave the trannies and t-cases in their respective vehicles. The Navi has AWD and an F-150 is part time 4x4. Less wires to screw with (pun).
Off the top of my head the Navi has an Intake Manifold Tuning Valve and the F doesn't. That won't be a problem for the F but the Navi will be looking for it to be plugged in and because it will be on the F it will not see it. Expect a code to be set. To take advantage of the 4Valve engine you should have a custom tune. Your tuner should be able to adjust for the IMTV situation on both engines. You might have to adjust the heater hoses to lenght but that is nothing.

JMC

Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Slight correction to JMC's post... The Navi did not have all wheel drive, it had automatic 4 wheel drive. Big difference in both the guts of the case, as well as the electronic controls that govern its operation. I would second his recommendation of just swapping the motor, not the rest of the driveline due to the complexity of the Control Trac/Torque-On-Demand system.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Well that should not be a problem considering both a 2wd. My only concern is if the computer goes crazy on me and goes in theft mode . i am going to transfer the key's from the navi to mine so the same key code goes with it's original pcm. Besides that the only other thing is making sure i get that damn digital hvac to work in the navi.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Wow sounds like someone is goin to have a ton of fun doing this.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PATS information a part of the instrument cluster, not the PCM? IIRC, the PCM gets the signal from the PATS, doesn't it?

You may end up changing the cluster for that... I don't know how well the two are going to play together...

-Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Damn joe you know your ****. Yes the key code is in the cluster not the pcm i wanted to see if anyone would catch that. I have a IDS at work and can most likely just reset parameters on the PATS but might have to reprogram my key code no big deal either way. I am going to start pulling the motor out of my f-150 this weekend and installing it in my grandad's navi. This will let me know how much of a pain the 32v will be to put in my truck. Still gotta rebuild it though.

Quick Reply: NAVI powered f-150