Locker on front axle or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker on front axle or not

I'm going to upgrade my gears front and rear to 4.56's. I want to put the non -agressive lockers <TRU-TRAC> etc...in the rear as well as the front. The guy at the 4 wheel parts store is telling me that it would not be such a good idea, because of the cv axles up front. Just looking for more input on this. I figured if I was upgrading the gears, I might as well put lockers too.
Thanks for any input.
Shawn

Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cajun_Nuts
I'm going to upgrade my gears front and rear to 4.56's. I want to put the non -agressive lockers <TRU-TRAC> etc...in the rear as well as the front. The guy at the 4 wheel parts store is telling me that it would not be such a good idea, because of the cv axles up front. Just looking for more input on this. I figured if I was upgrading the gears, I might as well put lockers too.
Thanks for any input.
Shawn
i just insalled a detriot locker in the rear and am going to install a ARB locker in the front, the detriot in the rear works like a dream, offroad it works flawlessly, on the street it is alittle noisy around corners and if i give it to much gas on a turn one of the tires will try to lock and it drags for a second but i love it.
i have the ARB sitting in the garage havent installed it yet havent had the time but it will be going in soon, if you put a locker up front i recomend a selectable locker like the ARB for the street and offroad if you need it you flip a switch and you are fully locked

Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Putting a locker up front really doesn't have much to do with the front axle having CV axles or a solid axle...as long as you respect the throttle, you're not going to break a CV. It's probably the weak point and if you're throttle crazy, you'll break it in no time.

Other than that, a locker in the front that isn't selectable is a pretty bad idea...your road-manners change tremendously. If you have a front locker and are taking a turn in some snow, your front will lose traction and just plow right on forward...it really can be a dangerous thing.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
BSL
unless you're doing serious off roading you don't need the locker in the front, 3 wheels is enough for most anything IMO

Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Looks like you all just answered a question that has been rattling around in my head for awhile now.

I'll be installing larger tires soon, because of that I'll be doing a ring & pinoin swap. So I was thinking that I should install lockers and LS in the front and rear while I was at it.

My biggest question was if I should install the locker in front or in the rear.

I was thinking I'd install a TruTrac in the rear and a locker in the front. But I may have to rethink that.

Doug

Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the insite...very helpful!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
DDan1967
Unless you are into a lot of serious wheelin I would not worry about a locker up front. I would however recomend putting one in the rear which for the average driver will be more benificial. If you put some weight in the back of the truck with a locker in the rear you will find that you can get into and out of many situations without 4 wheel drive. Best case for the semi serious off roader is a locker in the rear and a LS unit up front if you are planning to regear front and rear anyway.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Perfect...sounds good

Quick Reply: Locker on front axle or not