Facts on 33' tires with 4.10s or 4.56s gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facts on 33' tires with 4.10s or 4.56s gears

Hi to all, I am looking for reliable information from anyone running 33 inch tires with 4.10 or 4.56 gears. What is your fuel consumption like around town? Is it better than the standard 3.55 gears? What kind of take-off power do you have? Do you have enough torque to spin the 33 inch tires? If yes, how far can you spin them (few feet etc.) LSD or no LSD? Auto or Manual?

Do your gear changes seem to short? I dont do much highway driving, as I am based in the city. 50MPH would be my maximum speed on rare ocassions. I am really looking for a lot more pick-up. Any feeback would be highly appreciated.

Kindest regards to all.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm running 4.56s with my 33s and a 4.6L. The gas mileage is a little worse. I reeally believe that my gas mileage went down because now that the power is available, I use it all the time. I used to take it easy around town, but since I had the gears done I seem to have acquired a pretty heavy right foot.

I have an auto tranny and a LSD and I can spin the tires pretty easily. I try not to do it too much, but if I tried, I could probably get 'em spinning for 3 or 4 feet. I deliver Chinese food and I'll say that since the 4.56s, lots of bad tippers have gone outside to see a fresh pair of burnouts in their driveway.

Under normal acceleration I hit second gear after about 20 feet, so yeah, it does go through the gears pretty quickly. If your top speed is only 50, you'll never care. The extra power definitely makes around-town driving a lot more fun.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Jiggle

Thanks buddy for your reply. Im assuming that your engine is stock, is that correct? I was actually thinking that a 4.56 would spin the 33s further than 3 to 4 feet. Guess that it really depends on the road surfaces etc. (plus the lousy tips from your pizza customers hehehe).

Did you need to add the cross pin for that 4.56 ratio? If you had a chance to install a set of free 4.10s or keep your 4.56s, then what would be your choice?

Im also surprised that you can go about 20ft in first gear until changing to second, especially if you are driving it gently. My truck at the moment changes in to second gear at about 20 ft, but I must admit that I am only tipping the accelerator about 5 to 10 mm. (yeah, I am quite a miser at times)

I really appreciate your time to respond to me. Can you actually plant your foot without using the brake and smoke those tires?

Thanks again for your reply. Best regards.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 4.56's with 33" tires also and I love them. I just had them put in last thurs so I'm not sure what kind of milage I'll be getting with them but so far it seems to be the same. My truck is lifted though so the gear change made it very similar to the way it was before the lift. Since you would be going from 3.55 to 4.56 your going to notice a HUGE difference from day to day driving especially if your truck is stock.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
My engine is stock, except that I periodically add a thick coat of mud to it lol. As far as the gear shifts go, I said under normal acceleration. My "normal" acceleration is probably a little different than yours. The truck does go through the gears noticably faster, though. You can buy the modified crosspin, or if you are having a shop do the labor they can grind down a couple of the teeth on the ring gear and it will work. The shop that did my install said that they prefer to just grind the gears because the modified crosspins seem to be weaker than the stock ones. They grinded the gears down for no extra charge. On dry pavement with my A/Ts I cannot smoke the tires without using the brake. To be perfectly honest with you, the increase in power and torque was not quite what I had expected, although it still is substantial. I would never go back on my decision to get 4.56s though. I have much more fun driving my truck now. Plus, everything about the truck (mostly the tranny) seems much happier now that it's not straining so hard to turn those monstrous 33s lol. As long as you don't do a lot of highway driving I think you'll be very happy with 4.56s. A good part of my daily driving is at or above 60mph but I really don't mind. I just suck it up and deal with the poor gas mileage because I know that I wouldn't be nearly as happy with 4.10s.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Jiggle

Thanks again Buddy for your reply. I appreciate your honesty. I'm actually thinking that I might get either a 100HP nitrous kit and see whether that extra horpsepower will give me the ability to smoke the 33s with my 3.55 gears. If not, then I may have to go with the 4.56 gears and the 100HP nitrous, that should definately get those 33' tires smoking. What are your thoughts on this? Bet that would give your lousy tipping customers something to think about (hehehe) especially when you left a pair of 20ft marks outside there house Just kidding Buddy, it really makes me laugh everytime I think about your previous reply (how you left your trademark over their lousy tips

You mentioned that if you planted your foot from a standstill that you can easily spin both 33s for about 3 to 4 feet. Is that correct? How far will the truck actually travel in first gear (until it changes in to second) with the accelerator fully flattened?

Basically, I just like to drive around town and punch the throttle every now and then and hopefully smoke or at the very least spin the tires and leave a few long black marks. That would make me happy

I appreciate all of your replies. Thanks again, take care and kindest regards.

John

Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I really couldn't tell you how far my truck goes in first gear. Usually if I'm flooring it I have more important things on my mind than breaking out the yard stick lol. I don't think you ever said what engine you have. I have a 4.6 and I think a 5.4 would do a much better job of breaking the tires loose. By punching it from a dead stop, I can spin the tires, but they are nowhere near smoking. But just being able to spin them is a huge deal for me. Before the 4.56s, I couldn't even spin one tire while taking a corner and flooring it. When I blew my stock open rearend I replaced it with a limited slip and then regeared it a few months later. The fact that I have a LSD also makes it harder to spin the tires, but that much cooler when I do.

What I'm probably going to do, and you may want to consider this, is get an Xcal II from Troyer Performance. I belive the combination of a low gear ratio with their custom tunes will make around-town driving very fun.

Quick Reply: Facts on 33' tires with 4.10s or 4.56s gears