Coating Diff Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coating Diff Cover?

Hello all,

I purchased my 01 Scab last fall from an individual who had regularly driven it to New England in the winter. As a result, it has some corrosion on the underside. The factory differential cover (rear) looks pretty bad now. With the weather warming up I plan to pull it off to change the fluid and do some cosmetic work. I am going to see how much rust I can get off and then paint it with some POR15.

Now comes my question. I thought about taking it one step further and coating it with one of the roll on bedliner products like Herculiner or Duplicolor. It occurs to me, however, that such a coating might negatively affect heat dissipation. What are the group thoughts about such an idea? Should I stick with just painting it to be safe?

Possibly relevant: My truck has the tow package and will be used for towing occasionally (once or twice a year).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sand blast it and verify it is still sound. If so, take it to a local powder coating shop - I had mine done for $20....

Or, you can order one from JLP, PSP, JDM, etc. More expensive, but brand new and powder coated in your choice of color.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$20 for powder coating sounds pretty good. I will look into it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coating Diff Cover?