Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have all the numbers from the tag on my front and rear differential, but I still don't know how many splines they are. Is there a resource out there that can help me decode the tags? I'm finding carriers with both 31 and 34 splines for the 9.75" rearend.

Also, does the front differential require the Reverse ring and pinion? My common sense side says "of course it must" but I'd like to hear it from someone that knows.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggle
Neither is true. The only difference in power you'd notice would be because your truck is a little less aerodynamic and I think even that would be unnoticable. A body lift, if installed correctly, should do nothing to your ride quality. It will make it feel a little "tippier", but any kind/amount of lift will do that. The only difference my body lift made was that my truck is now taller.

His truck has torsion bar suspension, so a leveling kit is unnecessary, and would do more damage than good.
I suppose I was misinformed.

Oh, and I forgot about the torsion bars. No sense in wasting money on a leveling kit...

Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
if the front end is a high pinon then yes it requires reverse cut. you can tell if its high or low by where the drive shaft enters. if its on the bottom its low and doesnt need it and if its on the top then yes. i have a 07 and my front needs a reverse cut. try going to the 4wheelparts.com web site and enter your year and model in and it will narrow it all down for you.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks tuffaco... that was very helpful. I was able to find all I needed to know there.

Though, I'd still like to find a resource for deciphering the axle tag if anyone knows of one.

Quick Reply: Gears?