Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gears?

I recently added a 2" leveling kit and upgraded to tires size 285/70R17. I have the 3.55 gears with Limited Slip Axle. Do I need to regear for this tire configuration?

Even if I don't need to, will upgrading my gears to, say, 3.73 give me better truck performance and more power? I also plan on getting an Edge programmer....

How much do gears cost?

Thanks for all advice.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need to regear.

But shorter gears will help in the performance department.
Skip the 3.73s, they are too close to what you have and the cost won't be worth it.

I run 4.10s with 285/60R18 tires and I love them.
Second-best mod I ever did to my truck.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
You don't need to regear.

But shorter gears will help in the performance department.
Skip the 3.73s, they are too close to what you have and the cost won't be worth it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

You're looking at around $300 for the gears and install kit and anywhere from $250-$450 labor to have them installed. Shop around, as labor rates for rearends vary greatly. Double the cost if it's 4wd.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
It's 2WD.

What kind of performance enhancements will 4.10s give me? Could I get the same results from the EDGE Programmer?

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by jiggle
Double the cost if it's 4wd.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Heh. This is the first and only time I am actually glad my truck is 2WD...

Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Heh. This is the first and only time I am actually glad my truck is 2WD...
this is the only time im not glad about having 4x4

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
It's 2WD.

What kind of performance enhancements will 4.10s give me? Could I get the same results from the EDGE Programmer?

Thanks.
Better acceleration at all speeds. It's really remarkable how much shorter gears help these trucks. It's the second-best mod I ever did to my truck.

Slightly higher RPM at all speeds, so your MPG may decline. But in all honesty, I went from 3.31 to 4.10 and my mpg wasn't noticeably different, and after reading a lot of posts on this forum, others say the same.

IMHO, a programmer won't give the same result as the to-the-wheels torque multiplication of gears.

My bro-in-law's truck is a dog compared to his friend's truck. Identical trucks on 35, only my bro-in-law has a programmer on 3.73 gears, while his friend has 4.56 gears and no programmer.

Check out this thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263323

Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Thank you for all the info. I just need to know a few more things...

Where can I get the gears (and installation)? Are they actually in the transmission? Sorry I don't know much about them...

What about 4.56 gears? My truck is really sluggish lately and I want to improve it A LOT. Would that be too extreme for my truck?

Most importantly, are there any downsides? Will this damage my engine or shorten its life in any way? I have 115,000 miles and I need it to last....

Old 04-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Where can I get the gears (and installation)?
Gears can be purchased from the shop which will be doing the work or online. www.ringpinion.com is a very good place to start. They are a little pricy, but their customer service is second to none. I would talk to them and figure out what you want, then shop around some. I bought my gears from www.accuautoparts.com. Their site is very user-friendly and their prices are very good. Many transmissions shops will do ring and pinions, but I would rather have a 4x4 shop do the work.
Are they actually in the transmission?
The ring and pinion are located in the rear (and front, if 4wd) differential(s). The pinion gear is fixed to the end of your driveshaft, which drives the ring gear, which is in turn "fixed" to the axleshafts, and therefore the tires.

What about 4.56 gears? Would that be too extreme for my truck?
Depends. I am currently running those same size tires with 4.56s. Around town it's great, but on the highway the RPMs are a little excessive. Get up to around 65 or 70 MPH and turn off your OD. That's more or less what it'll be like driving at high speeds with 33s and 4.56s. Takes a little getting used to. If you plan on ever going with larger tires, go with 4.56s for sure. Otherwise, it's really all about how much highway driving you do.

Most importantly, are there any downsides? Will this damage my engine or shorten its life in any way?
There really are no downsides to going with lower gears as long as you don't go too low. Regearing will make everything in your truck happier. I was in the same boat as you with 33s, 3.55s and a 4.6l and my truck didn't move. Not only was it VERY sluggish, but the tranny would kick in and out of gears constantly and engine always seemed to be working harder than it needed to be. Threw in 4.56s and everything runs smooth as silk now. I truly feel that those gears will greatly increase the life of my truck. A lower gear ratio will cause your engine to run at slightly higher RPMs, but that's not really a bad thing.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Wow, thanks for taking the time to provide all that information. Very helpful.

I think I'll save up for some 4.10s. Should be good enough but not too much.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:19 PM
question, you see my truck? do you see, ok i want to put a 3 in. body lift on it (my friend said it makes the truck weaker, but i don't know about that) and i want to put 35's on aftermarket wheels, i have 3.73 gears, should i go to anything higher, and what if i changed gears with out doing the lift and tires, is it a big difference from 3.73

Old 04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
question, you see my truck? do you see, ok i want to put a 3 in. body lift on it (my friend said it makes the truck weaker, but i don't know about that) and i want to put 35's on aftermarket wheels, i have 3.73 gears, should i go to anything higher, and what if i changed gears with out doing the lift and tires, is it a big difference from 3.73
I got 35's and 4;56 gears, With the stock tires I would not drive it that long with that low of gear. At least not on the freeway.

And I have never heard of a body lift making the truck weaker.......Maybe if you don't put all the bolt's back in?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Don't do a body lift, dude. I have a friend at school who drives the EXACT same truck as you (same color and everything), and he put a body lift on it and it looks HORRIBLE. I have driven it before and after and after the body lift it feels like the truck is gonna roll over all the time. It makes it feel really wobbly.

When I was looking around for a lift for my truck, I was told by several people that body lifts do cause a serious reduction in power. Not to mention the smooth ride of your Ford is completely gone.

Your choice, though. If I were you, I'd save up for a 3"-4" suspension lift and put aftermarket wheels on with some 35s. If you can't do that, put a leveling kit on the front (because your truck is 4WD, I'd go with the 2.5"), and throw some 33s or 35s (35s will fit because your truck is 4WD) on your stock wheels. Trust me, it will look really nice.

I'm sure Wandell can chime in with some useful info.

Good luck.

Last edited by JohnBoy88; 04-29-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 AM
I was told by several people that body lifts do cause a serious reduction in power. Not to mention the smooth ride of your Ford is completely gone.
Neither is true. The only difference in power you'd notice would be because your truck is a little less aerodynamic and I think even that would be unnoticable. A body lift, if installed correctly, should do nothing to your ride quality. It will make it feel a little "tippier", but any kind/amount of lift will do that. The only difference my body lift made was that my truck is now taller.

If you can't do that, put a leveling kit on the front (because your truck is 4WD, I'd go with the 2.5)
His truck has torsion bar suspension, so a leveling kit is unnecessary, and would do more damage than good.

Quick Reply: Gears?