8.8 inch pinion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.8 inch pinion seal replacement

I replaced the pinion seal and I have purchased a new crush sleeve. Do I have to check pinion depth for this repair?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blrnar
I replaced the pinion seal and I have purchased a new crush sleeve. Do I have to check pinion depth for this repair?
Well, first I have to see if I'm interpreting your question properly.

You've already replaced the pinion seal? Did you replace it by just pulling the flange off, popping the old seal out and beating the new one in? If so, is it leaking anymore? Do you have any gear noise or whining from the axle that you didn't have before replacing the seal? If not, you're done, throw that new crush sleeve in your spare parts bin and keep on trucking.

Did you replace the pinion seal by again pulling the flange and popping the old seal out and new one in, and did you disassemble the rear axle the rest of the way to replace the crush sleeve (which is the proper, by-the-book way of replacing pinion seals)? If so, no, you shouldn't have to mess with pinion depth, just reset your pinion bearing preload and go on about your business.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I replaced the pinion seal by pulling the flange, and pulling the pinion out and installing a new crush sleeve and setting the preload, however now I have a clunking noise coming from the differential when shifting into gear either forward or reverse. Also there is a high pitched noise which sounds like a squeaky fan belt coming from the differential at low speeds. I can also feel what I think is excessive play between the pinion gear and the ring gear when I twist the driveshaft back and forth by hand. If you can then please advise.

Thank you

Brian

Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blrnar
I replaced the pinion seal by pulling the flange, and pulling the pinion out and installing a new crush sleeve and setting the preload, however now I have a clunking noise coming from the differential when shifting into gear either forward or reverse. Also there is a high pitched noise which sounds like a squeaky fan belt coming from the differential at low speeds. I can also feel what I think is excessive play between the pinion gear and the ring gear when I twist the driveshaft back and forth by hand. If you can then please advise.

Thank you

Brian
I think you've got your pinion bearing preload wrong. If you're not sure what to do, at this point it'd probably be best to have someone who's better equipped and informed to go through it for you.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Need help with preload on pinion

I may have done the preload incorrectly, I have a snap on (dial indicator) 1 to 15 inch pounds torque wrench. When I measured the torque I did so with the carrier removed and I actually got the flange rolling clockwise looking at the front face of the flange "before" measuring the rolling torque. Is this the correct way of taking this reading?? I appreciate any input that you may have.

Thank You

Brian

Last edited by blrnar; 05-01-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, that's the right way to check the preload. Read this page, and then look in the 8.8" Axle album in my signature link.

This Ford PDF might also be helpful:

Quick Reply: 8.8 inch pinion seal replacement