Posi

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posi

I know theres lots of factors that could affect time. But how long roughly would it take to put a posi in a 79 f150 460. And if possible how much could a person get by spending. If i could get some really in depth info that would be awsome.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kale
I know theres lots of factors that could affect time. But how long roughly would it take to put a posi in a 79 f150 460. And if possible how much could a person get by spending. If i could get some really in depth info that would be awsome.
i didnt know they put 460 in the F-150?, it could take two hours if everything lines up just right by a profesonal, or it could take ten hours if nothing lines up and you have to keep pulling the pinion and carier out to make shim adjustments to the pinion depth and the backlash. this is not a good qeustion to ask cause there is know really right anwser. as far as how much would you spend to get it done it really depends on the labor for your area, here in cali it would cost you about $350 in labor not to mention parts. good luck

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
nice

Sweet thx a lot, like yea i no it was kind of a bad question but just wanted to get rough estimate. Basically all i need is the parts cause i got a buddy that can help me install it. Should i guy kinda cheap out in this area or go with a top end detroit locker.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Sweet thx a lot, like yea i no it was kind of a bad question but just wanted to get rough estimate. Basically all i need is the parts cause i got a buddy that can help me install it. Should i guy kinda cheap out in this area or go with a top end detroit locker.
go with the detroit locker, i got one in my 9.75 rear, thing works flawlessly, only downside is it will make alittle noise going around sharp corners, or when you put it in revers it will make a clunk sound like you broke it, but it is normal. get the detroit you will love it

Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Wanna burn rubber

Where the best place to find a detroit. Should i be looking through salvages or ebay. I dont no a whole lot about this process but i got a buddy that can do it all. Like i found this one online NASCAR 9" Ford 31 Spline Detroit Locker H Case This locker comes with used 3.25" bearings and races #lm104949 & lm104911 installed. Is that all i need or do i need to buy more parts. Labour is no problem becasue i love doing it. This is for my 79 f150 460 also.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Where the best place to find a detroit. Should i be looking through salvages or ebay. I dont no a whole lot about this process but i got a buddy that can do it all. Like i found this one online NASCAR 9" Ford 31 Spline Detroit Locker H Case This locker comes with used 3.25" bearings and races #lm104949 & lm104911 installed. Is that all i need or do i need to buy more parts. Labour is no problem becasue i love doing it. This is for my 79 f150 460 also.
i dont know to much about your year, but as long as you have a 9" and the same spline count it should work, i would get an install kit with all new bearings and races and any seals you would need, never worked on a ford 9" so i wont be much help in that department.

Quick Reply: Posi