Thunk Sound or Feel on Stopping or Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2000, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a thunk/clunk sound when accelerating out of a slow turn. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the seats. It wasn't bad at first but it is steadily getting worse. Is this similar to the noises you guys are talking about? I have a 99 2WD SC 4.6. I am getting annoyed with the noise.

Old 05-09-2000, 08:35 AM
Spare is tight. I believe mine has something to do with the spline. You should try to persue the TSB above. I will the next time I take it in.

Old 05-10-2000, 06:59 PM
Are you guys sure that the noise is not coming from the intermediate steering shaft(at its gear box), mine also sounds as if it is coming from underneath the truck but it is from the intermediate steering shaft. When the steering wheel is turned side to side ,while turning or at stop sign, loud baning noises are heard. This is more evident when the weather is warm, ie. the metal expands more. I read that others had this fixed.

Old 05-18-2000, 08:36 PM
Cool

Hey all,
After slowing down from say 35MPH turn into a corner then accelerate out, there is a long pause then a loud clunk/thump sound as it catches and then starts to accelerate.
Is this the same thing you are experiencing?
I don't remember reading of a long pause then a clunk.
Any suggestions?
Oh yeah I only have 1200 miles on and it just started.
Thanks,
AHAB

------------------
2000 f150 5.4 4X4
Auto transmission
Supercab
Lariat 139" wb Flareside
Manual 4x4 shift on the floor.
3.55 Limited slip Axle
Class 3 tow group
4x4 Off Road group
17" pizza cutter wheels (arrrh, too narrow )
5 COATS ZANIO POLISH <A HREF="http://WWW.ZANIOBROS.COM
(" TARGET=_blank>WWW.ZANIOBROS.COM
(</A> AWESOME PRODUCTS!)
Mods:
4-14-00 Superchip installed ( Thanks Mike T. for all your help!)
Ordered Jardine Exhaust: $200.00 delivered!!
From John Brooks @ Jardine Cat back installed 5-12-00
1-800 347-8664 ext. 224 (Thanks John)!!
Airaid installed 5-12-00
Done for power mods, now saving for supercharger.

Old 05-18-2000, 11:52 PM
I still have no fix, but I did visit the dealer and took my stack of printed tsb's in. The net result is that we looked up some of the tsb's but could not find them all. The service advisor said that they have replaced the slip yoke on some tucks, but thought it ended up only being a temporary fix. BIG help! There are a numer of tsb's referencing a driveline clunk. some of them refer to it on accelleration and decelleration, and others refer to turns. There may be two problems. I don't notice it in turns at all. Refering to Dirtraker's post, I cannot say for sure that my "clunk" is comming from axel wind up, but mine sure does it. There's a tsb on this also.

Does anyone know where we can get the full information on TSB's without Dealer help? They seem to lose interest in you after 10 minutes of questions.

------------------
97 F150 Lariat, Ext. cab, SB, 4.6, auto Dark Torridor Red/Silver, Grey leather, Leer running boards, deflector, tonneau, bed liner, Superchiped

[This message has been edited by Freds4by (edited 05-18-2000).]

Old 05-30-2000, 09:12 PM
Well I took mine in last week to the dealer and after leaving it all day with them I was told that there was nothing wrong with my truck, or as the service guy said, "Normal Operation"! BS the mech. must have been deaf! Oh Ya, I forgot they did say that they put some kind of lubricant in the rear end some kind of anti-friction stuff. Anyhow I need some help!?! Fred, I hope you have some info on this... By the way I'm new at all this and this may be a stupid question but what are the TSB's everyone keeps talking about???

Quick Reply: Thunk Sound or Feel on Stopping or Starting