electrical gremlins??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electrical gremlins??????

ive got a 99 f-150, 5.4,2wd,and i received 2.5 in of rain yesterday. since then my blower fan runs without key in ignition and headlights flash. it flashes a code 16 on the theft light and will not start until i take the battery loose for abit, and manually lock the doors. there is a solenoid clicking uncontrollably under the dash. my a/c and cruise are not working as well. i tested the #5 relay and it works on testbench. is my GEM bad or is it the computer?.....please help!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Did you buy this truck used? Does anything work with the key out, radio, any accessory item, have you tried? Is the ignition switch sloppy?

Last edited by FORD MAN 4 LIFE; 07-09-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I believe there's a TSB or maybe even a recall on this. IIRC, the windshield isn't sealed properly which results in water damage to the GEM. Check the Electrical forums, as this comes up quite frequently in there. Maybe call a Ford dealer or two also.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
re gremlins

ignition switch is fine...truck was bought used from a friend. this is an acute problem...one minute ok and next major problems. called dealership and they said they had not heard of this before......????? the gas gauge,voltmeter and odometer stay on constantly w/o key. headlights flash uncontrolably when auto lights are on w/o key.....thanks for the help people

Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
re gremlins

the gas gauge,voltmeter and odometer stay on constantly w/o key
This means you have a POWER SOURCE sending power to these items. The Key Contact Switch (the electrical contacts inside the steering column, just beyond the metal key switch) could be bad or you might have a couple of wires that are getting together.

Is it the Solenoid on the firewall or something under the dash? If it is the Solenoid on the Firewall you got an ignition sort.

However it sounds like you got a short somewhere. Could be in the steering column, Ignition wiring harness, maybe at the switch or around the bottom of the steering column where the wiring harness come out of the steering column?

Anyway good luck. I have had experience with Tommy Knockers (Gremlins) my self. Not fun.

Last edited by FORD MAN 4 LIFE; 07-10-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Talking yaaaaayyyy

truck cleared up today....i dried the interior thouroughly...obviously GEM problems.....a/c and cruise turned out to be loose fuse socket on #5 on load size...thanxx for help ya'll

Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
re: Truck cleared up today

Congradulations and good luck in the future. Hope your problems are over.

Quick Reply: electrical gremlins??????