ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:14 AM
|
ABS Question

I have a 2001 super crew 4wd that has 2 issues, maybe related. 1st is that when I am coming to a stop sign or slow braking, my ABS activates causing brakes to slip some. 2nd problem is that sometimes when going around a corner, it sounds like my wheels are locking up or skipping, kinda what it sounds like when 4wd on dry pavement.

Garage said they had no idea until they went through a diagnostic for $75.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

thehathaways@unicorncomputer.com

Old 07-30-2007 | 01:11 PM
im going through the same problem...if u have a meineke go to them because they are running the test at no charge to see whats wrong...hope that helps a little...

Old 07-30-2007 | 02:22 PM
The first problem is most likely caused by a bad ABS sensor, probably the one on the rear differential. They are known to go bad, and most Ford dealerships will keep them stockpiled in the back. My truck had the same problem, I replaced the sensor and problem solved. If it gets to the point where it's not safe to drive, you can always take out the ABS fuse temporarily.

The sensor is around $23 and is held in by one 10mm screw. Should take around 2 minutes to replace.

Old 07-31-2007 | 04:37 PM
|
Originally Posted by Matt****son
im going through the same problem...if u have a meineke go to them because they are running the test at no charge to see whats wrong...hope that helps a little...
No Meineke here. No Ford Dealership anymore either, have to drive 30 minutes to get to one.

Old 07-31-2007 | 04:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by jiggle
The first problem is most likely caused by a bad ABS sensor, probably the one on the rear differential. They are known to go bad, and most Ford dealerships will keep them stockpiled in the back. My truck had the same problem, I replaced the sensor and problem solved. If it gets to the point where it's not safe to drive, you can always take out the ABS fuse temporarily.

The sensor is around $23 and is held in by one 10mm screw. Should take around 2 minutes to replace.
Great, thank you, I think I probably handle this fix. I will try it and let you know.

Could the second issue be related and is sounds like it is coming from the rear?

Old 07-31-2007 | 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by thehathaways
Great, thank you, I think I probably handle this fix. I will try it and let you know.

Could the second issue be related and is sounds like it is coming from the rear?
I really don't know a whole lot about ABS, but it sounds like it could be related. Your problem may not be the rear sensor, but one of the front wheel sensors. I just said the rear sensor because they frequently go bad, and I've had to replace mine twice now. Try reposting this in the Brakes forum.

Quick Reply: ABS Question