Auto Hub Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Auto Hub Conversion

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find it.

I'm in the middle of swapping my Auto to Manual Hub locks (Warn) on a 96 150.
It say's 3 bolt models require a spindle nut conversion, I have one, but what do I do with it? I've searched the internet, and everyone mentions it, but no one shows how it's installed. The exiting nut on the outside of the bearing has just 1 notch in it, I can't seem to get it off with hammer & screwdriver, so guess I need a special wrench. But even so, the hole diameter of that one is much smaller than the new one I have.

The kit contains 2 threaded 4 notch nuts and a spacer (for each side).

Help, I'm clueless...

Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click the black Bronco in my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. I hope you didn't pay more than ~$35 for that "kit". If you did, you might want to return it for refund & order them from JBG.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually it all came with the truck when I bought it, that it would be an easy job. And it looks like it would have if I had the 5 bolt hub. I guess I need this 7796 bearing socket tool to take off the 1 lug bolt, I can't seem to pound it off. (any ideas?)I looked at all your hub pix, and nothing seems to match exactly the conversion kit I have. I'm hoping it's going to make sense when I get that nut off.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
You have to pull the tiny lock rings (3B458) & clip (3B549) before the big nut will turn, but it should turn by hand (if you have the tire off the ground).

After the nut is out, pull the outer bearing (it slips straight out) & fill the void between the bearings with EP disk brake grease as shown here.

Replace the bearing & install the nut kit as shown in the L panel of this diagram.

Then you'll put in the manual lock using its instructions.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Well I found & removed what I think it #11, it's a half circle with a prong at 90 degrees.
But I sure can't see another clip, I can spin the washer behind the nut, so I think your right in that it shouldn't be tight (and thanks for saving me ordering that special socket!) Can you zero me in on where that clip is? I've got it all cleaned so I can see in pretty good, but sure can't find it.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
That clip w/90° bend is the one that locks the big nut. Use a screwdriver to move the nut, and it should spin by hand now.

There is no washer behind the nut, and you wouldn't be able to see or touch it anyway. The back of the nut is almost as big as the bearing's outer race.

Last edited by Steve83; 08-06-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I've about beat the snot out of this thing and it's not budging. And yet, I can spin the washer behind it. This thing is round, with 1 notch/slot in it so I can't even imagine many wrenches would even fit it. You sure can't get pliers or anything on it very well. Ever had 1 this hard to get out?
Here's a picture of it.

Last edited by jodiewhite; 08-06-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Stop beating on the spindle. It won't turn. The thing that's spinning is the NUT - spin it off. My photo shows the BACK of the nut; yours shows the front.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Ha. I'm the reason there are so many auto repair shops. It's off, but not without a fight. I had to screwdriver/chisel the nut all the way off, I might have chingered it up so it wouldn't turn. But it's off. Whew. Thanks for walking me thru all of that, I never would have got it.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by jodiewhite
Ha. I'm the reason there are so many auto repair shops. It's off, but not without a fight. I had to screwdriver/chisel the nut all the way off, I might have chingered it up so it wouldn't turn. But it's off. Whew. Thanks for walking me thru all of that, I never would have got it.
Like the other guys have said, double check all of the shift levers. If you don't get it to go get back with us.

Last edited by rockercar; 10-13-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Hub Conversion