Center Axle Disconnect "How to"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Center Axle Disconnect "How to"

I just had my 4 wheel drive looked at by the nearest "stealership" and they said that my center axle disconnect was bad. I was assuming that it was just the fork in there but they showed me the rebuild kit and it had the sleeve and fork and some other stuff in there. They said that it would cost around $500 to get it fixed, but the parts are only $150. I was wondering how hard it would be to do myself( with the help of my boss who is an avid jeeper). Any knowledge would be apprieciated.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone? HELP PEASE

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by skooba
Anyone? HELP PEASE
Go to advanced search-type in "center axle disconnect-scroll to the bottom of the 1st page, and there is a writeup on it. I farmed mine out, in part, because I was bamboozled into believing that ford might reimburse me if it became the recall that it should be. The aluminum pins on the fork are likely shaved off. The new kit is steel, and well made.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Skooba:
You can diagnose the center disconnect to see if it is working. im guessing your talking about the front axle and that vaccuum motor with two lines.
one line side engages, the other line side disengages. you can check this with a short piece of vaccum hose and a pump ( or mouth) to see if the motor works.
now, observe the front driveshaft when the motor isnt engaged. it should spin freely. when the vacuum motor engages the sleeve on the axle, the two axles will be locked together, and now the driveshaft should be engaged, turning the differential.
If these two things are working as advertised, then you should check to see if you are getting vacuum to the actuator. Ive read a post somewhere where those things are suspect for goin bad. not $500 bad though.
i hope this helps you out some, and gives a better understanding of the front axle center axle disconnect assembly.!!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I knew i was getting vacuum on both sides so made me believe it was the CAD. So i took it to the dealer to verify it, and that is indeed what is wrong with it. So, my boss has done one before on a chevy so he said he would help me. That way it will only cost me $150 for parts and $15 for beer. Works out well for everyone that way. But thanks for the tips

Quick Reply: Center Axle Disconnect "How to"