Rear Differential Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Differential Leak

I have a small leak coming from the rear differential. It looks like the bead of sealant came off from around the bottom of the cover. I was going to change the fluid in the differential, its my first truck and first time ever doing the change. I dont have a problem draining the fluid or replacing the fluid. My question is, Do I just remove the bolts around the cover to apply more sealant? I dont have to worry about anything coming out? Thanks, please let me know if you have any pointers.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Remove all the bolts except two on the the sides to hold the cover in place, loosen these and pry the cover away and let it drain.
Remove the cover and clean off all the old sealant. a scotch pad will work well. clean out the diff and cover. brake wash does a good job.
Apply a quality sealant and apply using the directions that come with it. buy a quality sealant like permatex ultra black. make sure you wipe off the sealing surfaces with brake wash to remove all oil residue. you only need a thin bead all the way around.
Snug up the bolts evenly and then torque them to spec, I think it is about 33ft LBS for that size bolt.
Let the sealant cure for around an hour if possible before adding the oil and friction modifier.

I just did mine because its been leaking, its was due to be changed and the cover was about rusted through.

Make sure its done right because the oil is $15 a quart and you need to buy 3 quarts.

Last edited by lees99f150; 09-11-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
thanks for the info lees, will be doing this tomorrow after work

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Leak