Possible Transfer Case Problem Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Transfer Case Problem Need Help

I apologize up front. This is my first post and it might be a little long.

I have a 05 F150 STX 4x4 that has been giving me some problems since getting it back from the dealer. I originally took it to the dealer for a rear brake problem but also wanted them to check out a noise I heard coming from the front end while in 4WD. Sounded like a "spun up/rotational noise. It was unusually loud on the coast down from 40 MPH. The dealer originally confirmed the noise and repaired something in my transfer case. Got the truck back and still the same noise, no change. Called them back and went for a test drive with them and they said the noise is normal for 4WD. OK I said but why wasn't that told to me before they ripped my transfer case apart. Seems like a lot of wasted time and money. Since then my truck has been acting up. I now notice a vibration in the truck at certain times that I didn't feel before. I can really feel it in the gas pedal. At those certain times when I feel that vibration and I shift it into 4HI (Manual Shift) I hear a loud "clunk" (metal to metal). Never heard that before and it doesn't sound normal. Other times the truck runs smooth and when I shift into 4HI - no noise, smooth as can be.

I also noticed while checking to make sure they fixed my brakes properly that with both rear wheels jacked off the ground in 2HI and Neutral, the tires won't spin in the same direction. They spin opposite wile the drive shaft doesn't spin at all. I have 3.55 Limited Slip.

I went back to the dealer and talked to the shop foreman. Went for a test drive and he heard the loud "clunk" and said its normal sometimes for a 4WD to make that noise while shifting on the fly. I asked why it never did that before they ripped my transfer case apart, and he didn't have a real good answer. I then told him about my tires spinning in the opposite direction while in Neutral and he basically laughed right in my face. So I made him jack up the rear end of my truck while in Neutral. Sure enough, the wheels spun in the same direction for about one rotation, the driveshaft then stopped turning and the wheels started spinning the opposide direction. He had no explaination for that but then said that there was a good chance they wouldn't find nothing wrong with my truck if they looked at it again.

Does this sound rediculous or what? Has anybody had a similar problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what to do at this point.
The truck is still under the 36,000 mile warranty.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Find another dealer. I don't know anything about transfer cases, but if your rear is doing that, your limited slip is busted and needs to be replaced.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night I jacked both tires off the ground again while in neutral and the ignition off. Both wheels spun in the same direction for a couple of turns, then the driveshaft stopped turning and the wheels started to spin in the opposite direction. Then I started the truck while in neutral, when I spun the wheels both spun in the same direction and the dirveshaft never stopped turning. But as soon as I shut the truck off the wheels would only spin a couple turns in the same direction before the driveshaft stopped turning.

I don't know if this is normal or not. I have an appointment with the same dealer tomorrow. If they can't fix it, then its on to a different dealer for a second opinion.

My main concern is that the truck isn't running as smooth in 2WD and then there is a loud clunk when I shift it into 4WD. (which never happened prior to them messing with the transfer case)

Quick Reply: Possible Transfer Case Problem Need Help