changing the axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing the axle seal

how would i change it in the rear end on my 97 f150

Last edited by off road dude; 10-03-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Pull the cover off the rearend and let the fluid drain. Remove the small bolt that hold in the crosspin. Loosen the tire lugs and jack the rearend up so the tires are off the ground. Hold one tire in place and have somebody rotate the other one until you can pull the crosspin out. Remove the tires completely. Remove the brake calipers and the caliper brackets. Push in on the axleshaft (toward the differential) and the c-clips holding them in should fall out, or you may have to give them a little help. After the c-clip is out the axle can be pulled all the way out. I've never replaced an axle seal, but I'd imagine that's probably the easiest part of all this. I think you just pry the old one out of the tubing and carefully push a new one in. Somebody else will have to clarify. Reassembly is just the reverse of all this.

I'm trying to remember how to do all this off the top of my head, so if I forgot anything somebody please tell me.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh and you shouldn't reuse the crosspin bolt. It will be weakened and prone to shearing off, which will likely ruin your day.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Also I was assuming you have rear disc brakes, which was probably a bad assumption. I'm not sure what the difference would be with drum brakes, if any.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
nope my 97 has drum brakes in the rear with a posi but when i get a chance ill see if that that will get it apart

Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
The process is the same for a limited slip, but like I said I'mnot sure what's different about drum brakes. Chances are you can figure it out.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drum brakes, all you have to do is take the drum off. It'll just pull off as long as you don't have the parking brake set.. Well, it could still have a retaining clip on one of the lugs, so just pry it off. It could also be a little 'stuck' to the hub, so a few bangs with a rubber mallet should loosen it up...

Another thing is to make sure you replace both seals even if only one is leaking... Since you got the whole thing apart anyway, doing one more axle is not that much more work.. Well, it does take an extra beer or two as well!

Get the correct gear lube as well... Yours should call for 75w140 as mine did. Either get the Motorcraft stuff and add the friction modifier or go with a name brand.. I used Royal Purple this last time and it's spec'd for LS without the need to add any additional fm..

You will also need to get some RVT gasket stuff for the cover.. If you have the 8.8 rear, you might be able to find an actual gasket, but I've had good luck with only the RVT stuff for my 9.75.

Mitch

Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco below & look thru the 8.8" Axle album.

Quick Reply: changing the axle seal