yep another gear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep another gear question

i havent been reading all the threads about installing different gears.. i dont kno anything about them but was wondering if someone can help me. so gears help with throttle respnse and gas mileage and whatnot right? well i have a 98XLT 4.6 automatic.. the only thing i kno is that i have 3.55 gears.. i dont have a lift but plan on only goin with a body lift.. and i am only running 265s and dont plan on going any bigger with tires as of right now.. im looking for more of the performance gain.. should i get different gears. what does it consist of.. do i have to replace other parts to work with the different gears.. my mods... full exhaust(long tubes) 75mm throttle body, af1 intake, troyer xcalII if that means anything.. thanks alot for anyone that takes the time to explain this **** to me.. enjoy. TIM

Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 AM
What you really need to figure out is the biggest tire you would ever possibly go to. You don't want to install 4.10s for the performance gain with stock tires, then go to 38s and have to regear again. It's too expensive to do more than once.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM
4.10's would be a nice, noticable performance gain for your truck. Unless you plan on going to a larger tire, I would go with the 4.10's. I installed 4.56 on my truck but I have 285/70/17 tires on my truck. I had considered going with 4.10's but since my truck is not my daily driver, and I may go with bigger tires one day, I decided to get the 4.56. I tow often with my truck so this has been a nice performance mod for my truck.... besides my Troyer-tuned XCAL2 anyway...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
i dont plan on going any bigger.. since im more for the performance. i do tow with my truck about once a year no more than twice a year. will that affect anything... where would be the best place to get 4.10s and is there anything else i have to consider doing to work with these.. would i have to get my xcallII re tuned... thanks alot guys i appreiate it

Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Wang13256
i dont plan on going any bigger.. since im more for the performance. i do tow with my truck about once a year no more than twice a year. will that affect anything... where would be the best place to get 4.10s and is there anything else i have to consider doing to work with these.. would i have to get my xcallII re tuned... thanks alot guys i appreiate it
Since you don't plan on going to a larger tire, I would say the 4.10's are gonna be perfect for you. They won't affect towing at all, it will actually help with the towing. If you are having a shop install your gears, I would have them order the gears for you. Some shops may not install them if you bring them in yourself. After you have the gears installed, use your XCAL2 to update the new ratio and you will be good to go.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
so all i have to do is order them, install them, update my xcallII and go. thats it? i will prolly have my shop order them if u reccomend that but are there any good brands or a good price range to look for... and what exactly are they called.. is it just a gear set.. thanks alot

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM
They guy that installed my gears used Precision gears. I'm not sure if they're the best of not but I haven't had any issues with them. Below is a link to Presicion. I would recommend taking your XCAL2 with you when you pick up your truck, I went from 3.55 to 4.56... my speedometer said I was doing 95 mph when I was only going like 65 or so ... but yeah... it's s simple adjustment using your XCAL2.

http://www.precisiongear.com/

Old 10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
ChrisT.. ur a great help.. thanks alot for ur info

Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM
ok now what about the 8'' 8.8'' and 9'' stuff.. i have no idea what that is.. is it what size i have now... bc im lost.. and dont kno what the heck to look for. haha.. and i take it i have to get an installation kit also right

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Take a look at your differential cover. There are 2 metal tags attached to the cover. It has all the information stamped on there. It will probably be either 8.8 or 9.75. This information can also be obtained on the door jam for your drivers side door. It will have your axle code listed on there and can be referenced in your owners manual or on this site. Again, I would recommend having the shop do all the part ordering for you. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
With a 4.6L you most likely have an 8.8" rearend. So you'll need to get a gearset for that rearend, along with a master install kit. Most people use Yukon install kits. You'll also want to buy axle bearings and seals, since the install kit doesn't come with them. Other than that, the only thing you'll need is gear lube and friction modifier if you have a LS. If I were you, I'd ask your shop if they'll install gears that you didn't buy from them. My shop didn't care either way. They quoted me around $1500 for everything. I looked around and got some awesome deals on gears and ended up spending only $1050. So it's worth asking.

Also, if your truck is 4x4 you'll have to get the same things for the front, but instead of a Ford 8.8, find gears and install kit for a Ford 8.8 reverse IFS. And the front doesn't have the axle seals or bearings.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
ok well i think i might just stay away from the gears.. thanks for ur help tho

Quick Reply: yep another gear question