4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4x4 problem

I just bought a 1998 f150 xlt ext. cab flareside 4x4 off road package v8 4.6L. I tried out the 4-wheel-drive and it engaged fine and everything else, but when i went to take a corner (either left or right turn) the rear inside tire would lock up untill i was going straight again. I tried it in both hi and low. Please help.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jbracket; 10-22-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I sincerely hope you were not on dry pavement. Four wheel drive is not the same as all-wheel drive. All-wheel drive can run on dry pavement...4x4 is only meant for slippery, low-traction conditions. Have a look at your owners manual...

Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah Pretty sure you were on pavement. Your driveline hates you now, so don't be alarmed when your truck chews up a u-joint and slings a driveshaft at you.
With the 4WD engaged, a lot of stress is put on the driveline on pavement. sometimes not allowing an open differential to open up and let the slower side of the axle open up. The truck probally seemed like it was hopping or binding up somehow? Yes ?
Your truck will thank you for never doin that again, cause it hurts me just thinkin about it. Try the same thing, except for off the pavement, on dirt or sand, and you will see which axle/ wheel has to drag. if all the wheels are goin the same speed, no drag. but when you turn left, the right side has to turn faster, and if the axle is locked up, keeping the same tires on a driveline at the same speed, one is goin to drag/ bind.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
ok, well i was in a rock parking lot and i noticed it, becuase i just bought it and it's still under warrenty so i wanted to make sure everything works on it.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problem