One tire fire!....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One tire fire!....

OK, my truck had an open differential, so I found a 31 spline trac-lok, just got done installing it, took it for a spin, no noise, go to see if it will break both tires loose, and.... Still setting a one tire fire.

The diff I bought only had like 80,000 miles, but it must be pretty well gone. Anyways, wonding if anyone knows were to get a trac-lok rebuild kit for the cheapest, and what type of kits are out there. I would like a more aggressive/stronger clutchs. I've seen the Carbon fiber disks for the SVT mustangs, but the ones I found didn't come with the spring.....

Also, can you put a stronger spring in the diff to help?

Thanks, Cory

Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I fould a rebuild kit at summit racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I bought that, and redline gear oil/friction modifier, in the pictures it shows carbon fiber disk.... and that is the cheapest one I could find (someone on ebay is selling them for $128+shipping) I'll post back in a few days, with results

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Post Eaton Posi

It sounds like you need an Eaton Posi?

I installed one in my Ranger five years ago and love it.

The wife has the TracLok in the 99 F-150. It is wimpy compared to the Eaton Posi. I also had a TracLok in my old 79 F-150 (switched to an Auburn Pro series nd loved that one too).

Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Better yet a detroit true-trac... no clutches to wear out.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 AM
The Carbon fiber disk were made for the SVT mustangs to stand up against 400 HP, and last longer, deliver better performance.....

The stock LSD works perfect for what I need. Which is actually being able to take off in traffic, on a wet road.

I'm sure Eaton, Auburn, detroit,.... all those units are great, but they cost more than I'm willing to spend for something that is overkill. (for me anyways.)

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Got the rebuild kit today, and it is carbon fiber clutch's (the same that are used in the supercharged mustangs)

When I took the differential I bought apart someone had taken it apart, and actually reassembled it VERY wrong. There were 4 clutch plates, on one side, and 2 on the other, and they they the steels in the wrong places... Definatly explains why it wasn't working.

But the carbon fiber ones perform flawlessly! Very good kit if anyone is going to rebuild thier 8.8

Quick Reply: One tire fire!....