whats in the process?
how hard is it to do?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mgdfan found these places for info....
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=303589

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
not hard at all, but you must have the correct tools, some know how (or someone there with know-how) and the most critical thing: PATIENCE!!! This is a very EXACT procedure and you need to stay in the exact specs they gave you. You will need both plasti-guage (to check tight gaps, and clearance between the ring and pinion gears) and you will need a bunch of "India Ink" (or Indian Ink) its a thick globy blue ink and its used to check the teeth patern and to insure full contact of Ring and Pinion gear TEETH. Go check it out online. i know Peterson's 4-Wheel magazine has done a couple write ups and I am sure you can find it on their web-site (?) If not, there are plenty of places you can download a complete step-by-step guide on all the "how-to's" and "what if's". Good luck, if ya need any more help let me know and I will see what I can do!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
It has been done. You'll need some special tools. Dial indicator comes to mind. Torque wrench will be essential also. Not done properly can cause premature wear of the new parts, along with rearend noise. I know of cases where seasoned techs have botched this service. In fact the local shop I use, when needed, would not change the gears in my 2000F150 when they started to make noise. They would only replace the whole rear axle assembly with a used one for $1200.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
It's a very long proccess and you have to be very meticulous. Nothing about it is realy "difficult", just very time consuming. If you're the type (like I am) who will get half way through something, then get bored and rush through the rest just to get done, then I wouldn't recommend you doing it. I rebuilt my blown rearend, and it lasted a few months until I had the money to regear, and then I had a pro do it. I don't know exactly what was wrong with my setup, as I did the best I could, but it somehow felt better or smoother after having a shop do it. There is also a decent size list of tools that you'll need (which many DIYers don't have on hand). You'll need a dial indicator, torque wrench and a bearing press to name a few.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I have done the gear swap on my own truck, front and rear changed from 3.31 to 4.10 ratios.
The process is time consuming,and requires a good mechanical sense of how things work together.But don't fear! You Can do this! Do lots of research to prepare yourself. This website has some good links, and use the internet to your advantage. Learn what components do, where they are, and learn how to use your tools correctly. I could'nt belive how easy it was once i started, but then again i am a gearhead aircraft mechanic on the side. IMO, it made me a better person, scraped knuckles and all. If you are determined and willing, and a D.I.Y.'er with a covered carport and the right tools, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!
Good luck in your research on the gear changes. I hope this helps your decision to re gear

Quick Reply: Swaping Gears?