Regular to Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 04:59 PM
ferdi_n
Post Regular to Limited Slip

Friends,

Is it possible to convert from a regular 3.55 rear-end to a limited slip w/o changing axles? If so how expensive is it and how difficult is it if I should decide to tackle this project myself?

Thanks,

------------------
"SILVER STREAK"
ferdi_n@hotmail.com
SILVER '00 XL FLARE-SIDE SUPERCAB, 4.2 LTR V6, manual 5spd o/d tranny, 3.55 regular rear-end, step-up bars...upgrades comming soon "paycheck permitting"

Old 06-08-2000, 05:31 PM
wjt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm interested too !!

Old 06-08-2000, 07:15 PM
The axles don't change, the carrier does. If you have an 8.8, you need a 31-slpine Traction-Lok carrier, Ford Motorsport P/N M-4204-F318 ($250 at Summit slightly more at Jeg's), an install kit ($80-120) some gear lube and a 4 oz. tube of friction modifier, Ford Motorsport P/N M-19546-A. If you want to change ratios, this is the time to do it, add in another $180 for the ring and pinion.

This isn't a home install for most people, especially if you've never done one and don't have the tooling. Figure on paying a shop $200-300 labor plus a markup on the parts.

Old 06-08-2000, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

StrangeRanger is right. But, you don't have to use the Ford Trackion-Lok carrier. There are a lot of aftermarket ones that will work too.

Old 06-08-2000, 09:57 PM
Cool

If you have not done this before or don't have a good mechanic as a friend, don't do it yourself, just take it in to a good mechanic. With this type of investment you need an expert to set up the ring and pinion clearance, select proper shims, and examine seals/races/bearings/etc. I agree with StrangeRanger about the gear change now. There are 5 or so good aftermarket units. It does become a do it yourself job if you buy a used whole rear end, they are everywhere. Richmond makes a video on "how to change your ring and pinion". Summit carries this as well as the complete parts kits.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 06-09-2000, 11:42 AM
ferdi_n
StrangeRanger,nomo,max mitchell

Thanks for the input.

As an investment as put by max mitchell I will surely consult a good honest mechanic it there is any left to get this transformation done.

I will let you guys and wjt how this endeavor turns out.

------------------
"SILVER STREAK"
ferdi_n@hotmail.com
SILVER '00 XL FLARE-SIDE SUPERCAB, 4.2 LTR V6, manual 5spd o/d tranny, 3.55 regular rear-end, step-up bars...upgrades comming soon "paycheck permitting"

Quick Reply: Regular to Limited Slip