squeaking noise coming from around the bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaking noise coming from around the bed

The truck bed....that is. I know what causes the other bed to squeak.

Anyone else have any problems with a squeaking noise coming from outside, around the bed area? It's mostly noticable when I'm driving fairly slow 35 mph or slower, on bumpy city streets or over speed bumps, that kind of thing.

I crawled under it & sprayed every piece of rubber I could find with WD40, thinking that maybe things were dried out & that was what was causing the squeaking noise, but that didn't stop it.

It's just one of those little things that annoys the hell out of you, ya know?

Any ideas or remedies? Other than just cranking up the stereo....

Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
U-joints?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
haven't check those. would a good greasing do the trick?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM
mine squeaks all the time. i think its just a truck thing

Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
A good greasing will only work if the u-joints have fittings - and the OEM ones don't.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:04 AM
my truck makes a noise similar to what you are talking about. only does it when i make a left/ right turn kinda slow. im guessing its a loose bed bolt or my truck crying out for polyurethane bushings.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
i have a post in body>other body>rattling

mine makes a chanky-rattling noise and it seems to be coming from under the truck or maybe the bed....i cannot put my thumb on it...it's only if i hit any bump or if i'm on a rough road...it seems like something is loose

any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
i found whats loose...there is a bar under the truck that runs across the front of the truck (close to the bumper). it curves to the front driver's side wheel and the front passenger's side wheel. the bar bolts to a bracket/plate. (the bolt has a 5/8" head and a 5/8" nut...there is a rubber bow tie cone that is around the bolt and a rubber bushing on the bottom) This is near the control arm, the brakes, the shock, the spring, that area. The bolt is about 3 inches too long. Any advice, ideas, or experiences?

Last edited by cyberburn311; 11-03-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
mine squeaks all the time. i think its just a truck thing
That's what I was afraid of. Although I've never had this problem with any of the other trucks I've owned. This is my first Ford, though, so I didn't know if there might be something specific that could be causing it or if it was just one of those things.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
chasing squeeks and rattles

Originally Posted by cyberburn311
i found whats loose...there is a bar under the truck that runs across the front of the truck (close to the bumper). it curves to the front driver's side wheel and the front passenger's side wheel. the bar bolts to a bracket/plate. (the bolt has a 5/8" head and a 5/8" nut...there is a rubber bow tie cone that is around the bolt and a rubber bushing on the bottom) This is near the control arm, the brakes, the shock, the spring, that area. The bolt is about 3 inches too long. Any advice, ideas, or experiences?
Been doing this kind of thing for 4 decades, and two things I've learned that can make tracing these things much less of a headache: first, sounds echo or telescope through a vehicle, and seem to come from locations other than where they originate. ( have someone walk along side your rig while you drive over a rough road or whatever it takes to induce the sound ). Another giveaway is that friction between metal components will usually create a rust trail, and closer to the rub zone, a shiney bare metal area where the problem is.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
The "squeek" is comming from the tailgate. I sprayed the latches down on both sides and it went away for about 4 months. I'm sure a better lube will last longer.

Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by MKANE
The "squeek" is comming from the tailgate. I sprayed the latches down on both sides and it went away for about 4 months. I'm sure a better lube will last longer.

Good luck!
Mike

I'll try that & see what happens.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by cyberburn311
problem solved...three of the four bushings on each side of the stabilizer bar were missing. i picked up a TWR link kit and now i am good to go

Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
i am pretty sure i know just what you are experencing. about 2 months ago my truck started making this annoying squeek when i would take off from a stop or over bumps going slow. i thought it was coming from the leaf springs or the shakles maybe so here is what i did. first i washed the trucks underside. i got all the mudd off focusing on inbetween the leafsprings and shakle and shock areas. tons of crap came out! then waited for it to dry and sprayed inbetween the leaves with WD the shakles and cleaned off the shock s.PROBLEM SOLVED! it went away for a good 5 weeks but is starting to slowly make its way back. thats what a heavy throttle and a lotta mud will do tho

Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
My two pickups both squeeked from the rear and all i do is. Jack up the truck from the frame to get the leaves to open up and i put brake grease in between the circle pads on the ends and it works for alittle bit. Next time it wears out im gonna try to put it on the whole leave and see what happens cant harm anything so why not.

Quick Reply: squeaking noise coming from around the bed