Best Diff....help me pick.....Detroit, Eaton, Auburn????

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Diff....help me pick.....Detroit, Eaton, Auburn????

I did quick search and didn't find anyone saying out right that one is better than the other.

I'll be swaping to a 4:30 rear gear soon and since I'll have it open I'll swap out the weak Traction-Loc for something better, and want to know which is the best one for me.

I currently have a 05 Supercrew 2x4 and do mostly in-town driving and occasional highway. I also tow a 25' boat and haul things around as well.

I've been doing some research and found that there are basically 4 different types of differentials avalible for the 9.75 rear.

Detroit Locker - 100% locking differential, Legendary traction, Ultimate performance
Link

Detroit Truetrac - Smooth operation, Performs open until needed, Fully automatic limited slip
Link

Eaton Posi Limited Slip - Superior rebuildable design, Race-bred carbon friction discs, Automatic LSD
Link

Auburn Gear High Performance series - Claims to be better than Eaton Posi, Detroit Truetrac, and Traction-Loc
Link and PDF claim

I've read thru a lot of posts and ads that the manufacturer claims and from what I have read is that:
1: The Detroit Locker may be a little too much(almost always locked) for a daily driver.
2: The Detroit TrueTrac may not have any clutches to wear out but does it really lock up when it needs to and deliver the TQ/HP to the wheel with traction?
3: The Eaton Posi may be refered to as the best limited slip differential but is it really the best?
4: The Auburn claims to be better than the Trac-Loc, Truetrac, and Posi, but does it really?

Sorry for being long winded but I just want to make sure I don't have to do this all over again.

Thanks all for your input.

Andy

Old 11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I reccommend the Detroit TrueTrac. Detroit based their company and reputation on the fact these things (lockers) just don't break. They build quality, stout equipment. I think the locker would be over kill for ya, so the truetrac is the next best step (IMO) Maybe look into a selectable locker? You can lock up your dif when needed and leave it open when ya don't.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the input on the TrueTrac and I've even looked around for a selectable locker but haven't found anyone that makes one yet for the 9.75 rear.

All though I've only looked at OX lockers and ARB Lockers.

Andy

Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I have had both the EatonPosi and the Auburn Pro in daily driven vehicles here in the Midwest United States. Both are perfectly good units. I have found the EatonPosi to be a little more aggressive in deep snow (10" or more).

The Auburn was a little more smoother and quieter during daily driving. I believe the EatonPosi is better in the mud and light snow. The Auburn was good in deep snow and overall a little quieter. Price wise, they should be pretty close (Auburn Pro may be a few $$$ more). Don't be fooled: there is a cheaper Auburn, Auburn H/D, and it is a good choice too for the price.

When the Traclok lays down in our 99, F-150, it will be replaced with a EatonPosi or Auburn Pro.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM
yukon dura grab.... www.ringpinion.com

Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Gears and lockers

Quickerthanu, I do not think they make a 4.30 gear for the 9.75. I believe your choices are limited to 4.10, 4.56 or 4.88. If you find 4.30's let me know.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by seidita84t
yukon dura grab.... www.ringpinion.com
Thanks, but they don't make that for the 9.75.

Originally Posted by Bill_T
Quickerthanu, I do not think they make a 4.30 gear for the 9.75. I believe your choices are limited to 4.10, 4.56 or 4.88. If you find 4.30's let me know.
Yes they do make a 4.30 for the 9.75. Motive Gear makes it......(Summit Link)

Last edited by Quickerthanu; 11-23-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Check out the Auburn ECTED.

It's a LS when not engaged, and a full-on locker when engaged. Electric, so no need for a compressor like the air lockers. That's what I'm going with.

Although, it's a little more pricey than some I've seen

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by attworth
Check out the Auburn ECTED.

It's a LS when not engaged, and a full-on locker when engaged. Electric, so no need for a compressor like the air lockers. That's what I'm going with.

Although, it's a little more pricey than some I've seen
I'd love to get something like that but after looking at there catalog they don't make it(or make it yet) for the 9.75.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
That's a bummer. I have the 8.8. Sorry, I didn't even check for the 9.75.

Maybe they'll make one soon. It seems to be a good design from what I've read.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im looking at the ECTED too for my front Diff. It runs as an open when not engaged.

Quick Reply: Best Diff....help me pick.....Detroit, Eaton, Auburn????