Expy 4X4 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expy 4X4 problems.

Were looking at buying an expy and i ran into one that is in my price range and looks great and has everything we want. THe only thing is that the 4X4 is screwed up. Its got the electronic switch that controls the transfer case and what not. At first it wouldn't go into low or even spin all 4 tires. we were on gravel and all we could get was rear wheel slipage. We checked all the fuses and swaped all the realays for ones we know work. Then the truck was finicky. It would shift into low range once and not again. for a while it would spin all four tires but it was weak. the rears were deffitly stronger. Then it went back to the same issues as before.

I wondering if there is something i can check or maybe some cheap parts that i could replace that would allow the 4X4 to work. I want to dump this expy and keep looking but something just tells me its a simple fix. Anything to look at?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happend to me on my old 98 expy, it wouldnt come out of 4wd low so after driving back to my house i called my SA at my local ford dealership and he said it does that due to "moisture buildup" (whatever the hell that means), he said let it sit out in the sun and it would come out 4low, so i did that and it eventually it did come out of 4low. after that i didnt use the 4wd much at all anymore. the electronic transfer cases on fords stink.

but for your problem, i would prob look at a few other expys before you make a final choice, that one your looking at now could have an expensive problem.

Quick Reply: Expy 4X4 problems.