who of you have converted from open diff to LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who of you have converted from open diff to LS?

im looking at getting rid of my open diffs, and going with limited slip, both front and back.

my question is which route did you guys go? junkyard? aftermarket?

also, did you do the work yourself, or have a shop do it? if you did do it yourself, what amount of time roughly?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
cdnance:
I have done the conversion on my 2002 , front and back diff. put a l/s in the rear (detroit truetrac) I bought the parts aftermarket, along with a new gear set. I done the job in about 3 days, under a carport with minimum tools. probally could have done the job faster, but wife and kids have needs too!! and also a neighbor who kept buggin the heck out of me! Hope this helps you out.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
cdnance:
I have done the conversion on my 2002 , front and back diff. put a l/s in the rear (detroit truetrac) I bought the parts aftermarket, along with a new gear set. I done the job in about 3 days, under a carport with minimum tools. probally could have done the job faster, but wife and kids have needs too!! and also a neighbor who kept buggin the heck out of me! Hope this helps you out.
just out of curiosity, who did you get the gear set from, and also, roughly what was the cost? including gears, truetrac, and shim kit? one last thing, how well does it work?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Are you SURE you want to put a limited slip in the FRONT?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Are you SURE you want to put a limited slip in the FRONT?
why wouldnt i? not being an ***, just asking a serious question?

i honestly dont know why not to.

Last edited by cdnance; 11-18-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
You are going to get a lot of hop and scrub when you turn your wheels.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by cdnance
just out of curiosity, who did you get the gear set from, and also, roughly what was the cost? including gears, truetrac, and shim kit? one last thing, how well does it work?
Got the whole set from randys ring and pinion. if i can remember, it was around 1000-1100 bucks? Can't remember the exact price. this setup works pretty good for me, as i upgraded to tow a trailer and also for just kickin around the woods and goin where i need to off of the pavement. my truck is a daily driver, and the rear truetrac is to be handled with caution on wet roads. but no worries, as i can controll the back wheel spin with my right foot
If your truck is a daily driver, i personally would not put a front l/s in unless my daily driver was driven up to the logging camp, or 80% of my time was spent off road, but to each his own!

Last edited by 2002 wonderboy; 11-19-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
i thought that a LS would still allow one wheel to turn faster going around corners and what not?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 PM
I've always been curious about putting a LS up front. If the front tires are not engaged with the differential during normal driving in 2wd, why would you have problems turning? I mean, I've always heard it's not a good idea, but I still don't understand why.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
i dont see how you would have a problem with it. but from what they say, it will cause wheel hop. i always thought that LS allowed one to "slip" or turn faster than the other when turning, where a LOCKER caused both wheels to turn at the same rate ALL the time.

but please correct me if i am wrong

Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
by the way, i want to keep my 3.73's. would i need to get a new gear set?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Well first of all, a LS and a locker will both allow the tires to spin at different speeds for turning, they are just mechanically different. As far as your gear set, you'll be able to reuse the old ones.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 PM
then why would the other guys say that putting an LS in the friont would cause wheel hop? and i very very very rarely have 4X4 on, on dry pavement.

again not being an ***, i just dont know.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by cdnance
then why would the other guys say that putting an LS in the friont would cause wheel hop? and i very very very rarely have 4X4 on, on dry pavement.

again not being an ***, i just dont know.
We're on the same page, buddy. I mean, look at it this way. If you jack your front end off the ground in 2wd and rotate one tire, will the opposite tire rotate as well? I don't think so. That right there tells me that they are not in any way engaged with eachother, so putting a LS up front would pose no problems. I'm sure somebody knows the answer to this or has done it and can explain why it is or isn't a good idea.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 AM
i'll say this though, when i have had the rear jacked up and rotated one tire, the opposing tire rotated the opposite way.

but even still, im thinking that someone is missing some info here. maybe its me, but who knwos. any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: who of you have converted from open diff to LS?