Best Differential setup for snow/moderate off road

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Differential setup for snow/moderate off road

I am getting ready to start doing some upgrades to my 01 Screw, I would like to upgrade gears and differentials, I drive A LOT 35,000 miles + per year and I need excellent traction in the snow (on the lakes and unplowed logging roads) and it needs to behave on the street.

IF if lift my truck in the future, I want to be sure that the gears support the tire size, I am thinking 4" lift 33" tires max, Will 4:10's suffice? (remember the mileage I put on! gas mileage is a consideration)

Lockers -

Front, I have no idea what the affects of a locker/LS is in the front end of a truck, will having a LS up front cause a lot of front end push in the snow when I am in 4X4? If so, are there selectables available for the ifs 8.8?

Rear, I have an open diff now and don't care much for the one wheel wonder on wet roads/snow, I would like a selectable so I can FULLY lock the rear, but am I stuck with an open diff then for the street? do they make selectables that are limites slips when they aren't locked?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Josh

Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.10s should be good. They also make 4.30s for the 8.8 rear if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure about the front.

LS in the front is a bad idea in snow. bad bad bad.

Auburn ECTED - LS when dis-engaged, full locker when engaged.

Quick Reply: Best Differential setup for snow/moderate off road