Detriot Trutrac or OE LSD for boat ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demolish50
Well I took it up there today to get the True-Track.
Looking forward to your review on it

Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm lost on everything you guys just said...

Maybe because I'm a 4x2?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I'm lost on everything you guys just said...

Maybe because I'm a 4x2?
We are talking about Differentials. Various LSD models.

I just realized it is the Tru-Trac not True-Track. Anyway, I got the truck back today. I had to have an axle and bearings replaced because someone installed a axle saver bearing at one point in time and the axle basically would not fit anymore with the Tru-Trac installed. Probably needed to be replaced anyway.

I only drove it about 8 miles or so and I don't notice it at all, didn't really expect to. The true test will come when I'm on this boat ramp down here. I won't know that for a few months.

Last edited by demolish50; 01-30-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't forget to give us your review of the unit

Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
How are the Eaton Detroit Locker and the Eaton Truetrac different? They both look "clutchless". Even the EZ Locker looks clutchless.

How much are these units going for? Is no one welding up the spider gears anymore?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The TruTrac is a helical gear-based torque biasing differential (a limited slip that actually limits the slip, unlike a clutch-based limited slip). It will not lock solidly, and does require some opposing resistance to force the gears to drive the non-slipping wheel. i.e. if you have a wheel in the air or break an axle shaft, it'll act like an open diff. The trade-off is that it's seamless in operation on the street for daily driving.

The Detroit Locker is just that: A full locker. Hang a wheel in the air, or break an axle shaft, and the other wheel will continue to drive you out. It's probably one of the simplest and well-known full-locking diffs out there, but it has its drawbacks. Those that have them can tell you that they can sometimes lock unexpectedly mid-corner. On the trail, it's generally not a big deal, but on the street, it'll cause the tires to hop, chirp, and squeak, and in the rain or snow, it can easily cause the tires to break loose unexpectedly.

Make sense?

-Joe

edit: Good link with decent info: Click on the application guide:
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...uals/index.htm

Last edited by GIJoeCam; 02-18-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks...sounds like it's all about the Truetrac. I just want something that will hook up both wheels when I take off in the rain / snow so as to not burn off $100 of rubber in the process.

Edit: the Truetrac doesn't seem too popular, at least in looking at google shopping and ebay. Weird.

Last edited by Jackal; 02-18-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i just wanted to add in on GI JOE's last post about the eaton/detroit locker since i have one in the rear of my truck. they have revised it some and i believe its smoother than the original. i have had very minimal clicking/binding/unloading/lurching.
one time i recall feeling a lurch and hearing a click was with my camper on it and i came to a rather quick stop. the other was a lurch at the stoplight w/o a load.
to touch on the detroit and broken axles, itll drive you out with a full floater. our semi-floaters will probably come out of the axle housing and leave ya sittin on 3 anyway lol.

Jackal: i think the tru-trac is relatively new? perhaps thats why? the torsen seems to be around longer and more well known even on these boards?

demolish150: good choice, i want to run the tru-trac up front of my 97 for the winter. most people choose open front for winter driving but i've heard nothing negative about the tru-trac that would indicate a negative feeling on snow/ice

Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Tru-Trac all the way. Virtually indestructible and smooth operating.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
DO THE TRUETRAC..... Had a Detriot locker in mine and swiched to the truetrac....

Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
hey demolish50, how about that review on the performance of the tru-trac on the boat-ramp?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I dont know about performance on a boat ramp (still to cold here in VA for that) but I have hauled and gone off road with mine. Ive had it since August and while it isnt quite "locker" performace its extremely close. If there is ever one wheel spinning by itself it only lasts for what seems like less than half of a revolution of the tire before both wheels are locked together. Works flawlessly in deep sand and mud and my 6,000 lb truck was having a significantly easier time chugging through 6-10" deep sand compared to my old open diffs (im sure the 3.55 to 4.56 gears helped too). Hauling is easy with the truetrac. It is extremely quiet and you dont even notice its there. I'll probably never switch to anything else considering what I use my truck for.

Quick Reply: Detriot Trutrac or OE LSD for boat ramps?