Detriot Trutrac or OE LSD for boat ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detriot Trutrac or OE LSD for boat ramps?

Anyone?

I'm getting this done next week, I think I am going with the TrueTrack but not 100% sure yet.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I recommend the truetrac. Another reason, is that i don't have to worry about clutch packs in the LSD, or adding friction modifier!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 AM
The tru-trac is not as smooth as a LS, they still click on sharp turns. If you go with a LS get an Eaton LS they are alot stronger than the OE LS.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LastSplash
The tru-trac is not as smooth as a LS, they still click on sharp turns. If you go with a LS get an Eaton LS they are alot stronger than the OE LS.
I think you're confusing a Detroit Locker with a TruTrac. The Eaton limited slip is still clutch-based... It won't work significantly better or last significantly longer than the OEM Trac-Loc.

My vote goes for the TruTrac all the way! It'll out-perform any OEM limited slip with the exception of the Torsen diff in some of the Rangers. (The Torsen, Quaife, and TruTrac are all similar gear-based torque-biasing differentials) TruTracs will operate smoothly and seamlessly in all conditions. They occasionally require a bit of brake pedal modulation to engage, but once they do, they'll drive you out of a hole every time.

-Joe

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have heard, i disagree with that. A true trac will last the longest due to the conical gears. An Eaton Posi won't wear out as fast as a factory tracloc. The factory tracloc is built for mild use. Every bit of material i have read says that the eaton posi is one of the most aggressive positraction units on the markets, hence its pricier price tag. I'm not saying that the true trac stinks. I'm just saying that the factory LSD and an aftermarket LSD can't be compared on the same level. One is built just to get by, the other is built for a performance enthusiast.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I understand what you're saying... I may not have been clear on what I was trying to say...

Yes, The Eaton Posi is aftermarket, which generally means that it would be a better unit than the OEM TracLoc LSD. The point I failed to make clear is that it's still a clutch-based limited slip diff, meaning it has clutches, and those clutches slip and wear out much easier than any of the torque-biasing differentials out there. Once the torque difference exceeds the spec, the low traction wheel will spin until the cows come home.

Torque biasing differentials (e.g. Torsen-type limited slips) will not exceed the torque bias ratio. (i.e. they will actually limit the slip of the low-traction wheel). That's what makes a torque-biasing diff like the Torsen, Quaife, or TruTrac such a great performer: It DOES allow some slippage, which is ideal for a vehicle driven on the street. However, unlike a clutch-based LSD, it truly limits the slipping wheel's spinning.

Does that make more sense?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right on buddy. I understand what you are saying.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I had a toyota p/u that had a tru-trac and it was not as smooth as any clutch pack LS. You could hear it click and feel it when parking, although the clicking could have been the drivetrain binding and releasing.
Personally I would get either an air locker or electric locker, when you need traction push a button and the rear end is locked, push the button again and the diff is open.

Last edited by LastSplash; 01-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
A TruTrac won't click... there's nothing to click. If it's clicking, there's something wrong with it.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Geared > Clutches

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
You must be thinking of the Detroit EZ-locker, the EZ-locker is an upgrade from an open difff and about as strong as a OE LS.
The tru-trac is a helical gear LS no clutches thats why they click and are not as smooth as a clutch pack LS.
Here is a link there is lots of good info there.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by LastSplash
You must be thinking of the Detroit EZ-locker, the EZ-locker is an upgrade from an open difff and about as strong as a OE LS.
The tru-trac is a helical gear LS no clutches thats why they click and are not as smooth as a clutch pack LS.
Here is a link there is lots of good info there.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm
I'm confused: Which one are you saying clicks? The TruTrac or the EZ locker?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
The trutrac doesn't click or pop. The detroit locker does, and so does the ez locker and other "lunch-box lockers"

I did some research on this subject a while back and everything I found indicated that the trutrac outperforms any clutch style limited slip hands down. It's only drawback is that if you have a wheel in the air, then it acts like an open differential. (no resistance) You can get around it by giving it a little brake to provide the resistance it needs to multiply the available torque back to the wheel with grip.

Last edited by Cuisi; 01-23-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Well I took it up there today to get the True-Track.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by demolish50
Well I took it up there today to get the True-Track.
Excellent choice! Let us know how you like it!

Quick Reply: Detriot Trutrac or OE LSD for boat ramps?