rebuilt my stock posi and left out a few parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rebuilt my stock posi and left out a few parts

Well I had the annoying shudder from the rear of my 9.75 on my 05screw so I picked up a clutch rebuild kit for it off ebay for $25 and decided to save some money and do it myself.Well it all went fine except I could not get the cupped washers to slide in behind the 2 spider gears that go on the cross shaft.I spent 2 days trying and I could only get the spiders in not the washers as well.I ended up completely destroying the washers before I finally gave up and just left them out.Just curious how many problems this is going to cause for me?If it was an open diff then I would really worry since they would spin all the time but being a posi ,,In theory they won't spin all the time so they shopuldn't wear the case that bad but the life of the spiders and possibly case will be shortened.What do you all think,Am I right in my thinking or make a really bad choice?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea it was a bad idea if its stock its not posi its limited slip so they will spin and yes its gonna wear stuff out quick they should've went right back in u must have done somethin wrong

Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
it's gona wear out your carrier where the cupped washers are... they will spin.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by mycio4791
yea it was a bad idea if its stock its not posi its limited slip so they will spin and yes its gonna wear stuff out quick they should've went right back in u must have done somethin wrong
Yeah I know its a limited slip i just call them posi.I did the ones on my 99 with the 9.75 rear and stock limited slip and had no problems and the spiders and washers went in no prob but it was summer last year and it is a high of 18 degrees here in michigan and I its been this cold so I got to thinking that it could be because of the weather that is affecting the metak and making it so tight.I'm sure it is put together right besidesd the washers missing.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by High Profile
it's gona wear out your carrier where the cupped washers are... they will spin.
Yeah thats what i'm worried about.I needed the truck though for plowing so for now I guess I will have to leave it and tear back into it when the weather warms up.Hopefully it doesn't wear it to bad or i will be buying a new carrier as well.We;ll have to wait ansd see i guess.thanks for the replies.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Those cupped washers are thrust washers, they act as a bearing surface between the gears and the carrier housing. Without them, the gears and housing will be scored to **** pretty quick.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by LariatSCrew04
Those cupped washers are thrust washers, they act as a bearing surface between the gears and the carrier housing. Without them, the gears and housing will be scored to **** pretty quick.
Alright I mangled the thrust washers trying to get them in so hopefully the ford dealer will sell me just the tghrust washers and not the whole spider gear set.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Alright got some new washers from Ford for $7 so got them installed yesterday.All should be fine now ,thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
good job getting everything back in

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
good job getting everything back in
Thank you,let me just say it was fun and I never want to do it again,I'll buy a new carrier first

Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
yah ive built a few rear ends too. Not fun and then you get it all done and have to measure everything, then usually have to tear it back down halfway again.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
yah ive built a few rear ends too. Not fun and then you get it all done and have to measure everything, then usually have to tear it back down halfway again.
my favorite is trying to rebuild it and torque the pinion and crush down under the truck in the snow and rain.

yeah man gj on getting it together the 2nd time around. those thrust washers are pretty important, notice how smooth they are when u first got em out?

Quick Reply: rebuilt my stock posi and left out a few parts