4X4 Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 Problem...

First I want to say hello, this is my first time posting but I have read many helpful posts on the site.

My F150 is a 2004 4.6L 4X4 with 48K miles. When I make sharp turns while in 4Hi my truck will shutter or jump forward (also does this in reverse) feels like it is coming from the front axle. (Do not know if it does this in 4low because i do not use it much)

Also recently decided to use my 4low and noticed that the gauge light was not coming on and did not seem lock into 4x4. So I decided to put in 4H real fast and that was working.

One more thing is when I am at a stop sign and turn on 4x4 it will not lock in until I come to another stop.

Sorry to bluntly put all of this info out here and not state my opinions on what the problem could be but i have no clue (I do not know how the F150's 4X4 completely works I have only worked on my ranger's.)

Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you doing this on a dry hard surface like asphalt? That would explain the jumping. 4x4 on slippery surface only. To engage 4Lo you need to be almost stopped, less than 3 mph, tranny in Neutral and foot on the brake. If this is happening on a slippery surface then your hubs are possibly locking and unlocking....

JMC

Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I only use my 4x4 when I need it. Which is in the snow. You need to have tranny in Neutral for 4Low? Did not know this part I will have to play with my truck in a couple seconds to see if it works! Thanks for the comment!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I just tried going into 4low. Seems to be working. Thanks for the info on the 4low! I still am wondering what is up with the front axle when I am turning sharp.

It has always been on a wet surface and it seems to happen the most when I go reverse out of a parking spot and then make a hard turn to clear the park cars.

Thanks for the reply again. If anyways has anymore comments or suggestion please post!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by freakychild1o1
I just tried going into 4low. Seems to be working. Thanks for the info on the 4low! I still am wondering what is up with the front axle when I am turning sharp.

It has always been on a wet surface and it seems to happen the most when I go reverse out of a parking spot and then make a hard turn to clear the park cars.

Thanks for the reply again. If anyways has anymore comments or suggestion please post!
perfectly normal on a hard surface. The front end and the rear end are traveling different distances. Something has to give (basically in a bind) so the tires chirp.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freakychild1o1

You should not be in 4wd on a wet surface. The front and rear driveshafts need to be able to turn different speeds when cornering. On a low traction surface like ice, snow, sand, dirt, or mud, the tires can slip. On a high traction surface like wet or dry pavement, the tires can't slip, so they hop and skip, squeaking all the way. That's called driveline bind-up, and driveline bind-up results in broken parts. It's very bad.

What's happening to your truck is completely normal, but should be avoided at all costs. If you're experiencing driveline bind-up, you should not be in 4wd in the first place.

-Joe

Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. There was many things I did not know and now I do!

Quick Reply: 4X4 Problem...