manually shift 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manually shift 4wd

i pulled my 4wd lever to put it into 4 and the lever broke off. i was wondering how i could shift it manually into 4wd underneath the truck. i cant re-attach the shifter because the bolt broke inside the nut that is welded to the bracket. so i need to get that nut off first and i dont have time. i was wondering which way to move the linkage because i need 4wd in the snow/ice that has been accumulating in the backwoods of the northeast. i have been trying to move the linkage but with no luck. the 4wd was working great before this happened. i have PBblasted the crap out of the linkage so it should move more freely now. any help would be appreciated

Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by 600Polaris
i pulled my 4wd lever to put it into 4 and the lever broke off. i was wondering how i could shift it manually into 4wd underneath the truck. i cant re-attach the shifter because the bolt broke inside the nut that is welded to the bracket. so i need to get that nut off first and i dont have time. i was wondering which way to move the linkage because i need 4wd in the snow/ice that has been accumulating in the backwoods of the northeast. i have been trying to move the linkage but with no luck. the 4wd was working great before this happened. i have PBblasted the crap out of the linkage so it should move more freely now. any help would be appreciated

Move it forward for 4 hi and lube all with WD40 it works the best and don't be stingy with.. good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
well, i just went and fixed it, i took a torch to the remainder of the bolt in there and got it to come out of the welded nut. then PB blasted all the linkage ant freed it up, put the bolt in and now it works as good as new. wasnt as easy as it sounded it took a while.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
thanks for the help buckdropper. i got an opportunity to use a garage with a lift. so i figured id just try to fix it. and it worked out. it was pretty frozen up though and the 0degree temps here didnt help it.

Quick Reply: manually shift 4wd