Non locking hubs wont disengage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non locking hubs wont disengage

Hi All,

I have a 92 F150 with about 150k on it. It has puch button 4x4 and non locking hubs. A few weeks ago, my son (17) turned on the 4x4 durring some heavy snow to make it home. The next day he drove it to school and back on dry pavement in 4x4. I know its a big no no but he didnt! Oh well.

Now the 4x4 will disengage but the hubs will not. Its like driving with the brakes on! The other day I ran it up and down the driveway and they seemed to disengage. (my driveway is 300 ft long)

Today, I backed out to turn around and head out and I got stuck on ice and had to turn the 4x4 on again to get out of the driveway. I imediately turned it off and the hubs did not disengage. I also smelled what seems to be a front brake smell whan I got home. I did replace the rotors and pads last fall, greased the slides , bearings, hubs etc and everything was fine. I do know that the u joints on the front axels need to be replaced but I have been putting that off until warmer weahter.

I didnt have the problem before my son drove it. I dont balme him, its an old truck. So my question is, what do you thing is wrong and how to fix it. I am thinging of going to locking hubs to solve it but I dont know if there could be something bigger to this. Also, the full time hubs are kind of nice! - killer on gas but east to use!

Thanks for your advice!

Jim

Old 03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Anyone have any advice?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I think you're on the right track with putting the manual hubs on in as far as the least dollar to fix ratio.

Quick Reply: Non locking hubs wont disengage