Questions on converting my F250 4x2 to a posi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on converting my F250 4x2 to a posi.

Hi all. I've got a 2001 F250 Crewcab 4x2 longbed that is pretty terrible in the snow.
I'm looking into converting the oem LS over to an aftermarket Posi.. Is the Detroit Trutrac considered a posi or is the correct term "locker?"
Next season i'll have studded snow tires and sand tubes in the bed for extra weight but I also wanna have something done with the differential.
Is this a worthwhile expense or should I just sell the truck and get a 4x4 or something?
I like the truck alot (Lariat/V10) besides this snow traction issue so what do you all think?
Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 AM
a 4x4 will always be better but a locker will help you move it will also help you slide around corners no matter if you want to or not. locker is the correct term "posi" became a genaric* spelling? term but was originaly gm's name for their limited slip. so to sum it up a 4x4 will be better but if your gonna stick with your 4x2 and you can handle a little rear end fun a locker is the way to go with a decent set of tires hope this helps good luck

Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
go full fledge detroit locker, i use it in the rear of my truck, i can get pretty far in 2wd. made a 600ft loop in 18" of powder in 2wd. did it a lot faster in 4hi drifting lol

Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
A locker in snow is a great thing. A locker on an icy road can be trouble. If you drive on ice you may want to reconsider. A good trick with a LS is to apply your parking brake some as you take off on any slippery surface. This will usually place enough friction on the spinning tire to switch you over to the non-spinning side. I've used this in mud and other surfaces for years and it usually works pretty well for me. Good luck with your decision.
Rich

Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The True Trac is considered a limited slip differential. WOW! Swap to a 4x4 if you can afford it.... If not find a limited slip or locker. Don't forget you have a 250 so the diff is a 10.5 inch.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Questions on converting my F250 4x2 to a posi.