F150 1997 stuck in 4x4 low

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 1997 stuck in 4x4 low

My 97 F150 is stuck in 4x4 low. The dash board switch does not change anything. Applying the brake and putting the transmission in neutral doesn't help. I checked the front axle actuator for leaks. Using a hand vac. pump I shifted the front axle out of gear. I left the wire for solenoid for 4x4 disconnected so it doesn't get back into 4x4 mode. Removed the transfer case motor and rotated the transfer case shaft for shifting to the 2 wheel position. I used a 12 volt source to move the motor to the 2 wheel position. The 4x4 low light on the dash turns on for about two seconds just after the truck starts. Anyway to determine what the problem is with the GEM without taking the truck to the Ford dealer to use the special diagnostic tool. My Mitchell's data refers to using this tool to check each of the inputs and outputs to the GEM for the 4 wheel drive. My OBDII only looks at engine codes. I bought a set of factory service manuals of ebay which I should have in about a week. Getting at some of the relays looks almost impossible. I don't want to take the dash completely apart.

Quick Reply: F150 1997 stuck in 4x4 low