Rear Pinion Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Pinion Seal

I got an 07 FX2 5.4 with a little over 14k miles. I have had the rear pinion seal replaced once already 5 months ago, I just dropped off my truck at the dealership to yet again check out the pinion seal.

My question is is anyone else having or had this problem and if so what was causing it or caused it. I am a fairly fast driver, but the pinion seal should not be leaking just because of freeway speeds on a regular basis. BTW I got the non silp option 3.55 gears in case that helps you.

It is not a huge leak, but if left unchecked it would become a problem later. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 AM
rjd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2002 f150 xlt 4 wheel drove with 61,000 miles on it
In may of 2007 I had a pinion seal installed that was $200 a couple month past that I heard this noise in the rear had to have front & rear pinion seal bearing replaced. I asked my mechanic why it did that he said because it was a Ford.
So in January 2008 I found an oil leak in my drive way pinion seal leaking again, bring it Lincoln Mercury dealer they fix it for $115 a week later I hear the same grinding noise I have to pinion seal front and rear bearing replaced again the mechanic I took to this time he has a private garage and he races Ford cars so he has no problem working on them. When he tried to take the crush nut off he said it looked like somebody put it on with an impact wrench (he had a hard time taking it off with hand tools) This time it cost me $860.00.I live in the 19403 Zip code so I don’t know if these same labor rates would apply in your area. So I did not know if Ford trucks have a problem in that area but that is my experience, hope that helps you a little.

Ralph

Quick Reply: Rear Pinion Seal