SADLY ,all I want is 3.55 LS...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SADLY ,all I want is 3.55 LS...

I'm totaly new to the whole diff. thing but not a total idiot. I have a 97 F150 4x4 W/4.6 auto and open diff w/ 3.55 gears,8.8 ring gear (10 bolt).I'm just TIRED of ONE wheel drive! Can I just get a used 8.8 posi/LS ( I guess the carrier?? and use my gears) and swap it in my current housing and be done?! That way I don't have the one wheel wet pavement burnout at every light! plus I won't have to worry about the front being changed because I wont be re-gearing..I noticed there is a 28 spline and a 31 spline, is the 31 used in the rear and the 28 up front or is this just a application thing.? I just need LS, Any help or pointers please.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 AM
the easiest imho would be to swap a 3.55 ls axle in... just go to the juck yard they probably will have one. then you dont have to tear into your carrier, thats what i would do.

and you could get the axle pretty cheap, swap it then sell the original one back to the scrap yard.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 AM
I guess that would be easier,however it would be nice to know what is in the housing (condition wise) Gears, and clutch pack condition and the only way to find out is to tear it apart or take a risk and installing it and find out...to bad yards don't know, my luck I would end up with the kid that nuetral dropped his car to do "cool" burnouts and then totaled it and I would end up with the half a!@ tweaked rearend. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
well you could go to a yard or ebay, and get a used traction-lok diff, and then get a rebuild kit for it. The rebuild kits are not too expensive, and I'm sure you could get a diff. for pretty cheap, then you would have a "new" LS diff. You need a 31 spline though, the 28's are in the stangs, vics, etc.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
AH, didn't know that about 28 spline...so if I pick up a used 31 spline LS I should obviously need the Ring & Pinion Install Kit then to properly shim if needed...
Ok ,question: I'm mechanicly inclined,Is this something I can do or should I have it done somewhere.? Any special tools? Sorry just a quick ask, I have all the repair manuals but never been to this chapter
Thanks guys for your input!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I can't log into my Ford account right now, but here is a pretty good article on it with pics.http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ild/index.html

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
I can't log into my Ford account right now, but here is a pretty good article on it with pics.http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ild/index.html
Thanks that is a great article!!Being a newb to diffs. the pics help alot!! Now to find that LS....

Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by itsaford
I guess that would be easier,however it would be nice to know what is in the housing (condition wise) Gears, and clutch pack condition and the only way to find out is to tear it apart or take a risk and installing it and find out...to bad yards don't know, my luck I would end up with the kid that nuetral dropped his car to do "cool" burnouts and then totaled it and I would end up with the half a!@ tweaked rearend. Thanks for the reply!
yeah totaly didnt think about that! that would be my luck too! let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply: SADLY ,all I want is 3.55 LS...