Strange Vibes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008 | 07:22 AM
|
Strange Vibes

Hey i've asked a couple of mechanics if they had any idea what could be making this noise. when i drive around 35-70mph i hear and feel this vibration. sounds like its coming from the rear end. i thought it might be the carrier, bt one guy said it wouldnt be that it sounds different. some one suggested the bearing on that holds up the two piece driveshaft. i was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this before and if anyone can help me?

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:23 AM
If it is a high-pitched whine, it is most likely the ring and pinion gears. Bearings usually make noise at once. Ring and pinions come in at 35-45mph under light throttle and goes away when accelerating or decelerating. Hope this helps.

Robbie

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:17 PM
Change your differential fluid and definitely check and/or have the ring and pinion checked. I agree, it sounds like that is your culprit. You will know when a bearing goes out.

When draining the fluids, (I like to) use a piece of fine screen to filter it and catch any large chunks, (praying I never find any). That way you will be able to see what all your gears have been digesting every time it goes around.

If everything checks out ok, refill and add the friction modifier and see if all of your woes go away. The friction modifier may have just broken down and is not helping you any more. (assuming you have a LS differential of course)

Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Strange Vibes