HELP.. oil leaking from axle end..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP.. oil leaking from axle end..

i did use the search button but couldn't find what i'm needing. i have a 2001 Screw 4x4 with the 5.4l, and i noticed the inside of the rear drivers side tire was all shiny, after looking close it's oil and it's all over the in side of my rim and brakes. i'm guessing it's the axle seal and want to change it myself but want to make sure i do it right and get what i need from the parts store. i know i'll need a axle seal, rear diff gasket, oil (75W140 synt.????) and a tube of that adative stuff?? is that it,??? now who can give me a quick rundown how to get it done, any pullers or special tools?? and will i have to back lash or mess with the gear's at all?? Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, 75W 140 synthetic. No differential gasket, get a tube of the blak permatex. Grab a Haynes manual while you are in the parts house. All specs and capacities are in that manual. It will explain in detail what needed and the process.

I myself, would not just change the seal. I would replace bearings while in there as well. Also, check your differential vent tube to make sure it is not clogged up. You will need a puller for the bearings, but, if you choose to just do the seal, you will not need a puller (per say).

Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by cfl4rat
i did use the search button but couldn't find what i'm needing. i have a 2001 Screw 4x4 with the 5.4l, and i noticed the inside of the rear drivers side tire was all shiny, after looking close it's oil and it's all over the in side of my rim and brakes. i'm guessing it's the axle seal and want to change it myself but want to make sure i do it right and get what i need from the parts store. i know i'll need a axle seal, rear diff gasket, oil (75W140 synt.????) and a tube of that adative stuff?? is that it,??? now who can give me a quick rundown how to get it done, any pullers or special tools?? and will i have to back lash or mess with the gear's at all?? Thanks in advance
I have the SAME problem but mine is on the passengers side- i have an 02 screw 5.l 4x4.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
the procedure is described in a haynes or chilton manual the only issue is if your axle is worn out our trucks are bad for this problem just did this to my own truck its not bad to do you'll need seal, brake pads, park brakes shoes, oil, friction modifier, gasket maker and possibly axle if yours has groove worn into it where seal rides. If you got it quick enough your pads and shoes might be fine but if they have oil on them change them out its a safety issue i only did the pads and cleaned the park brake shoes on mine really good. Don't cheap out on the oil and friction modifier if you don't add the modifier you'll diff will click around corners and you'll destroy the limited slip
good luck
kirk

Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by kburchak
the procedure is described in a haynes or chilton manual the only issue is if your axle is worn out our trucks are bad for this problem just did this to my own truck its not bad to do you'll need seal, brake pads, park brakes shoes, oil, friction modifier, gasket maker and possibly axle if yours has groove worn into it where seal rides. If you got it quick enough your pads and shoes might be fine but if they have oil on them change them out its a safety issue i only did the pads and cleaned the park brake shoes on mine really good. Don't cheap out on the oil and friction modifier if you don't add the modifier you'll diff will click around corners and you'll destroy the limited slip
good luck
kirk
do screws have the limited slip axle?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
My 01 Screw off road 4x4 has limited slip.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
my 01 4x4 has limited slip as well

Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM
how can i tell? i can give u my vin if you need

Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 PM
sounds good thanks guys!! how much do those books run? $30 or so?? i'm looking to get it done tomorrow cuz i'm leaving for IN on wed.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:55 PM
sounds good thanks guys!! how much do those books run? $30 or so?? i'm looking to get it done tomorrow cuz i'm leaving for IN on wed.
if you change your seal yourself post how long it took you so ill know what to expect

Old 03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
will do....

Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by wookie13
how can i tell? i can give u my vin if you need

There are 2 tags on your rear end. One says 75w140 synthetic only and the other has the specs for the differential. If you see a LS on there you that means the obvious. You have a LS differential. You can also do a search for differential identification and it will pop up numerous posts with this info.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 PM

I got mine for like 15 bucks I think.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
my 2nd tag reads 3 s 941 a 3l55 9 75 0d19 does that mean i don't have LS??

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM
my 2nd tag reads 3 s 941 a 3l55 9 75 0d19 does that mean i don't have LS??

Excuse me, I confused you earlier. By that number you provided states you DO have a LS differential. I said earlier that it had a "LS", but, the 3L55 means you have the limited slip. So, I stated wrong that the "s" was included. Sorry. I had to go get mine and look at them to make sure. LOL (Yes, I changed over to a Mag-Hytech cover and put the tags in a filing cabinet. I don't plan on getting rid of it and will soon be regearing it anyways.)

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: HELP.. oil leaking from axle end..