Cracked my front axle tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
Wow! that thing cracked like a nut in a vise!
Have you tried searchin out a junkyard for one? That may be your cheapest option.
The only junkyard that had anything was the kind that pulls the parts for you. You pay more but you don't have to do any work. I actually used to work there but they didn't remember me.

Anyway, they wouldn't separate it from the rest of the front end. They tried to sell me the whole differential with the tube attached until they found out that I had 4.56s. I would have had to buy the whole axle assembly only to switch out the tube. Pointless and expensive.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The short axle, driver side is held in by a snap ring. You have to remove the cover to access it. The Short shaft (Axle Cluster Gear Shaft) on the right side has thrust bearings to hold it in place. No need to remove the cover for that. The long axle shaft, passenger side, has a snap ring to hold it in place.

Now that you have the cover off fill it before installing it back up in the frame. FYI I used a gasket instead of sealer. $15.00 and a lot easier and cleaner. No time wasted waiting for it to set up either. Did you pull a ball joint off the knuckle when you pulled the axle? If you didn't you will find it a tight fit to slide the inner CV joint up onto the axle flange. Be careful that you do not pop the cap off the joint if you pry back on the inner CV joint to slide it over. if you do pop it off tap it back on till it is flush with a rubber mallet.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Cracked my front axle tube