Cracked my front axle tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked my front axle tube

Not sure how I did this, but it happened very recently (today or yesterday). Caught it because I was about to change my oil and saw gear oil dripping from the front end.

I'm not sure whether to replace it or to just weld it. It's cracked all the way around, so it's separated into two parts now. To remove it I assume I have to drop the whole front end, take the differential apart and remove the axle? Anybody seen anything like this before?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! If you didn't feel anything you could have had a crack for a long time that has grown to the breaking point. I would recommend a new tube because it is a pain to get the gear oil out to make a clean weld.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
I did the same thing on a an old f250 but i was plowing and was going 5 mph when it happened but it was on the rear and the truck didnt want to move lol.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'd recommend a new tube, even tho its like $200 for the tube assembly from ford. i think you'd find it hard to set the tube up straight before you weld, plus the oil will make it a pita to even weld. just my thoughts on it... been wheelin ever lol

Old 03-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Well I pulled the whole front end down, took off the diff cover and pulled out the crosspin thinking that I would have to pull the C-clips to get the axle out like on the rearend. Turns out I could have just unbolted the axle tube and pulled it off. Oh well. I'm going to hit up a junkyard or two tomorrow to see if anybody has one.

Klitch, are you sure that it's $200? That seems like a lot, even for Ford. It's only a 1.5' long cast-iron tube. I can see it being a bit more if it comes with the bearings pressed in, but $200 still seems high. Hopefully I can find a used one elsewhere.

Edit: It's $142 on directfordparts so it is probably close to $200 from a dealer. Anybody know if it comes with the bearings/seal installed?

Last edited by jiggle; 03-15-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by torkum
Wow! If you didn't feel anything you could have had a crack for a long time that has grown to the breaking point. I would recommend a new tube because it is a pain to get the gear oil out to make a clean weld.
I looked closer and I can see a gouge in the metal right next to where the break is. Not sure when I hit it, but it definitely just started leaking today. I was towing a trailer down some pretty rough dirt roads, going a bit faster than I should have been. Got home and saw drips of fluid on the ground.

Oh and degreaser will get off gear oil. BTDT, lol.

Also, I'm running 4.56s. When I went to remove the crosspin, I couldn't get it out because the ring gear was too fat. I know they will normally either use a notched crosspin or grind down a tooth or two to make it fit. Neither was done on my truck. How the hell did they get the thing in there? I had to take a dremel to one of the teeth to get it out.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Here's some pics of it off the truck. I constantly amaze myself with how good I am at breaking things. A couple months ago I posted a thread about cracking my frame.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by jiggle
Well I pulled the whole front end down, took off the diff cover and pulled out the crosspin thinking that I would have to pull the C-clips to get the axle out like on the rearend. Turns out I could have just unbolted the axle tube and pulled it off. Oh well. I'm going to hit up a junkyard or two tomorrow to see if anybody has one.

Klitch, are you sure that it's $200? That seems like a lot, even for Ford. It's only a 1.5' long cast-iron tube. I can see it being a bit more if it comes with the bearings pressed in, but $200 still seems high. Hopefully I can find a used one elsewhere.

Edit: It's $142 on directfordparts so it is probably close to $200 from a dealer. Anybody know if it comes with the bearings/seal installed?
im positive my dealer told me roughly $200 for a replacement/revised tube assembly complete with bearing, seal and bushing. i told him i'll get lost and hung up... all i wanted was a revised tube to help remedy my stupid breather valve blowing oil all over the place. i noticed u have the tube i was looking for, u have both breather locations, ones unused on the tube (97's used that one didnt have the one horizontal)

u sure the pin was being pushed the right way? i looked at my rear for 15 mins got mad and walked away. came back to it and shove it out the other direction.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Does this mean it's possible to replace the passenger side oil seal without removing the front cover and removing the cross pin and c clip to get the axle out?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow!! you had to slam it pretty hard to crack that thing. probably better off with a new one. with all that oil everywhere tough to get a good weld, kind of like trying to solder a pipe when there is still water in it.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 03-16-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by billb72249
Does this mean it's possible to replace the passenger side oil seal without removing the front cover and removing the cross pin and c clip to get the axle out?
There are no C-clips on the front. Not sure exactly how it works, but I took the whole thing apart only to find that there are no C-clips. You can just unbolt the tube from the axleshaft and from the differential, then unplug the vaccuum lines and pull the tube off. There's some random crap holding the short axle shaft inside that tube. I think it was just a small c-clip or something. Remove the axle from the inside of the tube and you can access the seal.

I'm pretty sure that's how they were able to intsll the crosspin without grinding down the teeth. Since there's no C-clips, they probably put the whole carrier together (spider gears and all) on the bench, then dropped it all in and slid the axles in. Not very convenient for the next person who has to work on the thing though

So I'll be going to Ford tomorrow so they can rape me. Hopefully I won't run into any more problems. Money was tight enough already, now I'm missing work and shelling out $200 for this crap.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like a fun night.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
There are no C-clips on the front. Not sure exactly how it works, but I took the whole thing apart only to find that there are no C-clips. You can just unbolt the tube from the axleshaft and from the differential, then unplug the vaccuum lines and pull the tube off. There's some random crap holding the short axle shaft inside that tube. I think it was just a small c-clip or something. Remove the axle from the inside of the tube and you can access the seal.

I'm pretty sure that's how they were able to intsll the crosspin without grinding down the teeth. Since there's no C-clips, they probably put the whole carrier together (spider gears and all) on the bench, then dropped it all in and slid the axles in. Not very convenient for the next person who has to work on the thing though

So I'll be going to Ford tomorrow so they can rape me. Hopefully I won't run into any more problems. Money was tight enough already, now I'm missing work and shelling out $200 for this crap.
Thanks for the info Jiggle, that will save me from having to drop the whole axle assembly and take the center section apart.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow! that thing cracked like a nut in a vise!
Have you tried searchin out a junkyard for one? That may be your cheapest option.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
Wow! that thing cracked like a nut in a vise!
Have you tried searchin out a junkyard for one? That may be your cheapest option.
but then a whole assembly for $150 with bearings and seals is actually a pretty good price for a ford part. NEW not used.

Quick Reply: Cracked my front axle tube