Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Suspension

This afternoon went to pick up the truck at the dealer , it was there for the alarm check up and to replace side view mirrors under warranty, the technician told me that while driving the truck to his work place he felt a play in the steering and called the shop manager, they checked it out and found that the lower and upper both sides ball joint's and tie rod ends needed replacing.
My truck only have 3675 miles on, not been off road yet, the dealer is going to replace all parts under warranty, my question is, is this normal?? any one with new truck have had the same problem??, If it wasnt for the tech I wouldnt find out about the thump noise, he steered the wheel from left to right, I could hardly notice it, right at the center is when it is felt, steering from one side to the other, hope this help.

------------------
2000 F-150, S/C F/S 5.4lt Auto, 3.55 LS, M4x4, Capt. Chairs 6 way elec.,DELETED 6 CD,Class III towing hitch and package, etc,etc,.
Med Toreador Red
Born 03-27-00
Mods,
Superchip UAT2,Borla Anniversary Edition Split rear catback,K&NGen II or FIPK, BBK Trottle Body,Granattely Mass Air Flow,SVT Lightning 18" wheels,285/60/18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero,HellwigSway bar,Dark Walnut dash kit,Muth signal mirrors,White face gauge,Bosch Plat. 4's,Retrax Rolltop,Outland sport bumper guard,Rancho rsx shocks,Ford OEM bug deflector,Underhood sound insulation panel,Piaa Plat. super white Bulbs,Catch All floor mats,Lund Back Draft tailgate spoiler,Pioneer DEH-920-R H/U, CDX-656 CD Changer, Polk DX 7 and Pioneer TSA-6895 Speakers, Steering Remote for H/U, Mute for cellular.

Old 08-03-2000, 10:08 AM
dragonboy,
What was the problem with your side mirrors?

I just took mine in for some warranty work as well.

------------------
Model: '99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 SS Mechs: 5.4L, 3.73 Diff (9.75" LSD Rear, 8.8" Front)
ORP: Skid Plates, LT265/70R17 GY Wrang. AT/S
Group III towing: HD Electrical/Cooling, GVWR 6500# (Extra leaf spring).
Stuff: Step Bars, 4W Disc ABS, K&N filter, 0W-30 Series 2k Amsoil @ 8200 miles
Stock Items That Differ Across F150s: Steel Driveshaft, Oil filter bolted to engine w/ drip guard, 4R70W transmission.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:28 PM
Michael,
When I received my new truck I checked everything before taking ownership, one of the problems that I found, was that when adjusting the mirrors the fuse blew.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:52 PM
DragonBoy
Sounds like you have a good dealer there.
I think it is early to have ball joints, and tie rods go bad.My truck has 26,000 miles and so far they are fine on my truck.
I would ask for the same tech whenever you bring the truck in for service, looks like you found a winner.Once when I brought my truck in for service I asked them to check for a gas pedal vibration, they told me that there was no way to diagnose the problem since I have a aftermarket exhaust.Even though I told them about the problem before I put the exhaust on.
By the way nice mods on your truck

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip, K&N FIPK Intake.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.
Alpine CDA-7845, ADS P640 Amp, Focal Poly Kevlar seperates.

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 08-03-2000).]

Quick Reply: Front Suspension