?? Weird front end noise *HELP* '05 FX4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ?? Weird front end noise *HELP* '05 FX4 ??

my truck has been making weird noise up front for the past few weeks. at first i thought it was the brakes wearing down, then i thought it could be my 2.5" leveling kit was wearing on some of the parts like my ball joints and they were squeaking and grinding. now i think it may be my 4wd..
the most recent noise sounds like a Ratchet clicking when i'm driving but when i put it in 4wd it stops. the noise it was making a few weeks ago was like the pads on my brakes were starting to wear down and the metal on the pads were starting to scrape the rotors.
my truck has 52k miles and i have a 75k/5 yr Ford extended warranty but i dont know what they will say about my over sized wheels and my 2.5" leveling kit. has anyone else had these weird noises or know what it could be? if i have to return my truck to stock before i bring it in to Ford, i will. it will suck but i dont want them to say my warranty is void..

any ideas?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Look at your IWE solenoid, right behind the battery on the firewall. If it doesn't have a
cover over the top. its been updated from ford....change it and see if the noise is gone. I had the same issue and 35 bucks and the problem is gone.....

Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I agree with Murray99 - Check the IWE solenoid first. I've read other members having the same trouble and replacing the solenoid fixed it. And personally, I dont think I would worry about Ford saying anything about your aftermarket parts. The local dealers here are pretty cool though and have never given me any trouble but from what I hear it just depends on the dealer because they are different everywhere. The guys here told me that they have to prove that the aftermarket part/modification caused whatever to fail.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a similar problem with my '05 FX/4. I've replaced the solonoid, have good vacuum lines, and still get the grinding from the right front. What's my next course of action? Accuator? Hub?

This has become frustrating!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Turns out it was both the hub and the accuator. Had to have both replaced. I'm just happy to have things back to normal

Quick Reply: ?? Weird front end noise *HELP* '05 FX4 ??